Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Norn Not Working

Old 08-19-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep Hound
tha k you so much!!! this was the info I was looking for :-)

and yes it's a new horn I have had a few that ended up sounding like a dying dolphin due to mud and water.. some i was able to dry out and re use.. i have been through 3 horns in 50000km

Is there a Fuse Box diagram anywhere for the small fuses?
There is a diagram on the inside surface of the cover. The cover will pop off for easier viewing.
The horn relay supplies power to two horn fuses.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-19-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha I just noticed that Hahaha what the hell.. and there is no way to fix it because you can't edit the title..

all I have to say is "DERP"

I knew what you meant, I just had to poke a little fun at you When I opened the thread and read the title along with the rest of what you had written, I literally laughed out loud. Something about the word "norn" is hilarious to me haha
Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Below is a picture of the horn relay. If it clicks when you press the horn button, the clockspring in the steering wheel must be OK.
The horn fuse is inline after the relay, so if the fuse were blown, or had an intermittent connection, you would still hear the relay.
Go here to see more details on the TIPM (fuse box). https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...OEM-TIPM-Study
When the horn does operate, does it sound normal? Sometimes water or dirt in the horn will prevent it from working.
Check all the connections between the TIPM and the horn for looseness or dirty connector pins.
one last question...

is the horn relay removable and replaceable? it looks like it's part of the circuit bord..
Old 08-22-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Two words....train horn
That's exactly what I did. The stock horn is puney! It was tough stuffing them in with the supercharger....
Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

one last question...

is the horn relay removable and replaceable? it looks like it's part of the circuit bord..
You would have to disassemble the TIPM, and un-solder the five relay pins on the board.
A new TIPM is $249 from the dealer.

The first thing you should do is see if you get power to the fuse socket when the horn button is pressed.
Then see if you have continuity from the fuse socket to the horn connector plug.

Look at fuse M23, in the picture above.
Pull the M23 fuse out.
Have someone push and hold the horn button while you check for 12 volts at the pin socket closest to the pink fuse.
Have the key in RUN, as I don't recall if the horn works in Lock and ACC. As you mentioned before, you should hear the relay click.

If that checks OK, use the meter to check for continuity from the pin socket (closest to the gray relay) to one of the pins in the horn connector.
Be very careful probing pins. It's easy to damage them.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx

You would have to disassemble the TIPM, and un-solder the five relay pins on the board.
A new TIPM is $249 from the dealer.

The first thing you should do is see if you get power to the fuse socket when the horn button is pressed.
Then see if you have continuity from the fuse socket to the horn connector plug.

Look at fuse M23, in the picture above.
Pull the M23 fuse out.
Have someone push and hold the horn button while you check for 12 volts at the pin socket closest to the pink fuse.
Have the key in RUN, as I don't recall if the horn works in Lock and ACC. As you mentioned before, you should hear the relay click.

If that checks OK, use the meter to check for continuity from the pin socket (closest to the gray relay) to one of the pins in the horn connector.
Be very careful probing pins. It's easy to damage them.
thank you very much for taking the time to type all this in for me. It's all been a huge help. Ill let you know how it goes when I have time to work on it. Im working 14 hours a day right now so I don't know when I'll have time... but I'll post the results when I fix it. you have given me enough information to fix the problem for sure. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

thank you very much for taking the time to type all this in for me. It's all been a huge help. Ill let you know how it goes when I have time to work on it. Im working 14 hours a day right now so I don't know when I'll have time... but I'll post the results when I fix it. you have given me enough information to fix the problem for sure. Thanks again.
I know the thread is pretty old, but I was wondering if you ever fixed the problem. My horn died slowly 2 years ago and I already replaced clock spring and horn, with no success. I have no power at the fuse at this point. My next (scary) step now is to open the brain, try the relay and eventually remove it and replace it. I have no electronic experience, but being in silicon valley I have a bunch of friends with a lot of experience that are ready to do it for me.
Any idea of the type of relay/brand/specs and where to buy it?
Has anybody attempt this before?

In the case the relay is good, what should I look for? When I replaced the clockspring I noticed 4 or 5 little spring contacts in clear plastic cases on the back of the airbag, is it possible they are gone bad? I looked for a long time for the replacement part for that but unsuccessfully, it's not listed anywhere. Only the Mopar cruise control aftermarket installation sheet shows that particular item in minimum detail, but without part number.

Many thanks

GM

Quick Reply: Norn Not Working