Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

No more auto dimming!

Old 10-31-2016, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more auto dimming!

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. I just got about 4" of the top of my windshield tinted and no there is no more auto dimming function. There is still power because the map lights still work.

This happen to anyone else?
Old 11-01-2016, 01:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my YJ (Tahoe mirror) it stays dimmed most of the time as it thinks it is getting dark and that's even with it topless. The sensor is on the backside of the mirror facing the tint.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't think the windshield had anything to do with the auto dimming of the rear view mirrior... I was under the impression that the dimming function only did anything if it sensed headlights (or lights in general) behind you... Guess ya learn somethin new everyday
Old 11-01-2016, 05:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can only speak for mine which came out of a Tahoe. It has 2 sensors, one on the front and one on the back. I'm calling the front the side that actually has the mirror on it. The one on the back (facing windshield) senses nighttime and partially dims the mirror to take out the glare. The one of the front (facing the rear of the vehicle) sensors headlamps and dims the mirror more.

Mine has a blue tint when dimmed. When I leave for work in the morning the sun is low in the sky (7:30ish) and my mirror stays blue all the way to work even though the soft top is down. Not real dark but still blue. When I come home from work in the late afternoon it is not dimmed at all. This is in Florida BTW.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

So it turns out the guy at the tint shop didn't connect it right. I wiggled it and it finally "clicked", all working good now.

Quick Reply: No more auto dimming!