Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Newbie light question

Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie light question

I searched some but was unable to find an answer. I am wanting to get some lights but what is the difference in the offroad vs driving lights? I want something street legal. And does the wattage of the lights limit what is street legal. I live in CA so dont know if that makes a difference I searched there site but was unable to find anything on wattage. Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Generally anything over 55 Watts is probably going to be too bright for street use. Driving lights are just meant to enhance the view in front of you and have a narrow light pattern
Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are they worth it or should i just get some bright off road lights.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Streat legal lights have to be DOT approved. And they have to be used in a manner that aggreas with your state regs. Off road lights are strictly "Off Road". Euro / Driving lights are designed to be used with your high beams. They are designed for illuminating distant objects for high speed driving. In my opinion 55 watt lights are only good for fogs.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I upgraded my head lights for about $80 (just the bulbs) in my book it was definatly worth it . I went with The PIAA extreme white bulbs , I was trying to match my 6 1/4 SMrs , they are brighter than the stock and the pattern is just slightly narrower than stock also. I have no problems with them passing inspection in RI and they are pritty strict with their laws

Attachment 240615
lights look dull in the mountain fog but compare them to the stock fog lights on the bumper
Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Streat legal lights have to be DOT approved. And they have to be used in a manner that aggreas with your state regs. Off road lights are strictly "Off Road". Euro / Driving lights are designed to be used with your high beams. They are designed for illuminating distant objects for high speed driving. In my opinion 55 watt lights are only good for fogs.
So with the lights you have you can only use them offroad?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

A lot of states have laws the require lights to be mounted at certain height in order to be street legal. So just look up the laws for your state, i wouldn't waste my money on lights that are under 100w IMO.

this mite help also if you didn't already look on this site , http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c2a2.htm

Last edited by 09jaykay; 11-23-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmick33
I searched some but was unable to find an answer. I am wanting to get some lights but what is the difference in the offroad vs driving lights? I want something street legal. And does the wattage of the lights limit what is street legal. I live in CA so dont know if that makes a difference I searched there site but was unable to find anything on wattage. Thanks
I'm in Cali too, so I looked this up awhile back when I was mounting my aux lights.

V C Section 24402 Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps

Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps

24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks I did look that up but couldn't find how powerful they could be did you ever find what u could mount?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmick33
Thanks I did look that up but couldn't find how powerful they could be did you ever find what u could mount?
They should be labeled DOT somewhere for legal street use, but so long as you angle them correctly so that you do not blind oncoming drivers, I doubt you'll get hassled. Just use common sense. Most aux driving lights do not exceed 100w. I swapped my headlight & foglights with Silverstars and they are plenty bright enough to run together on the street without needing additional aux lights. The 3 pairs of aux lights I do have I only use offroad. There was a case in California not too long ago about a driver who was running aux lights on his bumper on the street (in the Tahoe area, i think) and was ticketed. He fought it in court and since they were mounted no higher than 42" from the ground, the judge agreed he was within the rules of the law & he won the case.

Quick Reply: Newbie light question