Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New stealth sub location

Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New stealth sub location

I just got my box made for a jl 8w3v3 and it came out great!

The sub and amp (pdx 5) are on their way, but I thought I would show you what I have so far.

The stock deck was replaced with the avh p3100, the front speakers are jl vr components and the rears are kenwood coax's.

I wanted a box that I could hear, and since I wasn't going to go big the trunk area was a no go. I also did not want to lose any function on the rear seats folding.

I am going to put the amp under the seat, so then I cam up with under the dash.

I looked around for threads or pictures and couldn't find any. I guess I will be the lab rat on this one.

The guy who built my box is David, he is a freelance installer and fabricator and did great job. His company is called Audio Install for less.

Let me know your thoughts and I will update this as the pieces arrive.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sub box.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	35915  
Old 01-22-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like it takes up a lot of foot space. The jk's are crampped as it is but very nice looking. Very clean.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default More Pictures Please

That looks Great!!! Could you post some more pictures? Working through sub placement on mine and would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks
John
Old 01-23-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

Can't really see it...can you put some arrows or something to highlight where it is...would like to relocate mine in the back, spray back with rhino liner and then put in safari top and not worry about rain!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Here are some bigger pictures, I will take more when I place the woofer. The box is removable if I ever need the space.

It also is farther in than it looks. Im 6'1 and was sitting in the seat and feet had some room to move. The face of the box is about an inch or 2 back from the bottom of the glove box.

I was planning on taking it out this afternoon anyway to stuff it with some poly fill. I will get the dimensions and the total volume, and take few more pics.

Sean

Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Look forward to seeing other pics since I am getting ready to do similar upgrade. Another option to consider!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Reread your post and another question. Did you get the JL tweeters in the factory towers and where did you mount the crossovers?
Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

yes the jl's are in the factory locations and the crossovers are actually in the speaker pods.

I have heard that some tweeters are larger and can't use the factory location, but these are small enough to fit and still use the factory grill.

My goal was to have everything out of sight since I will not have the top on most of the time in San Diego.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Here are a couple more pics. The total cubic space (per rockford fosagate's box wizard) is .39 which is perfect for the jl 8w3v3.

The recommended volume is .3 net and the speaker displacement is .03 so you need .33 gross. I have an extra .06!

The box and beauty board are separate pieces. The box is shaped to match the angle of the floorboards.

The box from the front, actually sits square to the floor when installed.

The beauty board from the front

The beauty board from the back

The covering acts like a grill.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't some one just kick right through that? Interesting design either way!

Quick Reply: New stealth sub location