Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New speakers and amp in 2012

Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jk202
Im keeping speakers and amp for now, just new head unit and adding Sub... I'm questioning the headunit tho... Just hate to lose the factory look , hope it makes a big difference sound wise !!!
Do you by any chance have a soft top? The stock speakers sound like garbage in my buddies 2012 jku with a soft top, but mine sound ok(going out on a limb) and i have a 2011 jku hard top. I think it has something to do with the hardtop harness, because when I disconnect it they sound like absolute trash. I have since upgraded to the 77kick10's and it really is a night and day difference between aftermarket and stock, which is why I'm wondering if you have a soft top.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope hardtop.. Maybe I'm just picky lol
Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MortuaR
Ouch. Yeah. So wait... the '20 yr expert' talked you out of a 4 channel amp and into a 2 channel for 4 speakers? I've heard of a config like this but *only* of people using a 4 channel amp setting 4 speakers to the 2 front channels and the rear 2 chan to a sub or subs - still wouldn't recommend that configuration at all.
I dunno... I'm planning on running the front two channels into all four speakers. I can't hear the damn phone through uconnect since it only plays through the front channel.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope hardtop.. Maybe I'm just picky lol
Believe me, I am too, but I'm not expecting a mercedes quality sound system in a vehicle designed to be driven with no doors or top, so when I say it's a night and day difference I'm speaking relatively.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just recently my jeep had had some electrical issues, so i've been driving my dads 2012 Arctic Edition 2 door with the alleged Ininity upgrade... what a hack lol My honest opinion, go on quadratec and get new Kicker replacements for the front, as well as Kicker replacement soundbar speakers. Price on Quadratec is about 360 for the 4 speakers, do the labor yourself... you have no idea how easy it is, took me less then an hour to do all 4... i have what many people consider a crap headunit, its made my Dual but i LOVE it, honestly, its runs, sounds, and operates better then my friends $400 Alpine headunit lol. Headunit was on sale at bestbuy for $120, installed myself as well, maybe 2 hours of work? splicing and sautering and all that, then i made a box for my old sub, (Hertz Mille 12 inch) Italian company that my father showed me years ago and god i love it, hooked it up to a 1000 watt alpine monoblock off Amazon, paired with a new set of RockfordFosgate 4gauge wire, and i couldnt be happier. SO neat less to say, with all said and done, i have about $1000 into a system i wouldnt change for the world. So seriously, skip the labor, skip the shops, ever since i was a kid jeeps were always about do it yourself, and i wouldnt have it any other way. Save yourself the $, get some tools and a beer, even get a friend to help along, half the fun is the journey
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audiophiles - Pay no attention

Here's what I did on my 2012 Sahara with "Premium Sound" - NOT "Premuim" if you ask me:

I am mid-40's and I don't thump the base (but I can if I want to)... This sounds so much better and it was not a complete "redo", nor that expensive. I have less than $300 in upgrades - and it was well worth it.

I did these steps in order as each progression added better sound until I was satisfied - I am satisfied now.

1. Replaced the sound bar speakers with Polk Audio 6.5 speakers and stuffed the hollow area with batting - Amazon = $60
2. Replaced the Sub with a Kicker 8-inch unit - dual voice coil - stuffed the cavity with batting - Crutchfield = $80
3. Installed a Polk Audio amp (200 watt, I think) - just to drive the sub - Put it in the well in the back - Speaker-level inputs - it has voltage sensing feature (no remote wire needed). - Brandsmart USA = $120

The most difficult part of this was running a new power wire from the Fuse block to the Amp.

Last edited by SB5700; 03-27-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

I wonder why everyone puts the coax "upgrade" into their soundbar... pulling all the highs backward ruining the whole soundstage. Do people just not care about a proper soundstage in a Jeep cuz its so noisy? I myself just tried Alpine SPS-610 coax in my soundbar a week ago. (With an Alpine head unit) They sounded much worse than the stock speakers, so i put them back in. Probably a mix of having different ohm'd speakers as well as having tweets right by my head. I can understand the other side, where you are just looking for more "volume" in the Jeep to cover the road noise.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I know what you mean..,even with the new $230 headunit, i still would have been extremely disappointed if not for the sub.. I've never had a real "system" so maybe some would still call it a waste of money for what I have, but it's plenty loud and plenty of base... Listening to Metallica's Live Shit binge and purge makes me feel like I'm there .... $1300 later with labor :(
Old 04-07-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

I think I know what you mean..,even with the new $230 headunit, i still would have been extremely disappointed if not for the sub.. I've never had a real "system" so maybe some would still call it a waste of money for what I have, but it's plenty loud and plenty of base... Listening to Metallica's Live Shit binge and purge makes me feel like I'm there .... $1300 later with labor :(
the sub is the key. which sucks for me, cuz my baby stroller fits behind the rear seat with 1/2" to spare laying flat. I have no room for a sub back there. Maybe i can rig something tight and secure under my seat when the time comes..

Quick Reply: New speakers and amp in 2012