Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New speakers and amp in 2012

Old 03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5

What setting did you change on the amp that made it sound better?
I'm gonna say he turned up the gains, which would obviously be an issue if the shop had them bottomed out.....
Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Ok

So you have four channels but only two are amped...I've never run across that before

Maybe you should push for that amp swap

Matthew
Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have two pairs of speakers or just one??

Still not sure why you got a two channel amp...

Do you know what other brands of speakers they carry?

It's hard to tell what needs swapping out more, the amp or the speakers...

What setting did you change on the amp that made it sound better?
I got 2 pairs of Pioneer TS-A1674r speakers. I started by turning the output of the amp down and the bass. Also tweeked the high and low pass filter. I read a review where someone suggested turning down the output.

MY original plan was 4 Polk DXI650s and an alpine or kicker 4 channel amp.. i mean the pioneers were the same price and that's what he recommended, so i'm going to argue that i'm not happy with it and want the equipment i first wanted.

Based on the wiring that is there, would it be easy for me to do this myself if they refund me for the equipment??
Old 03-18-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had the infinity system for 5 years now, conneting my iphone headphone jack to the aux input on the infinity system. sounds great with top on and off, good bass. some may complain but being a music producer/ dj for 20 years, i can say that i really enjoy this system.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Not really

The wiring from the head unit to the amps location has to be replicated, assuming they didn't run four channels of wire to feed the two channel amp

You'd have to yank the head unit and run more wires to the amp and then run more wires from the amp back to where the speaker wires are.

If your lucky enough to get them to let you trade in the amp maybe they won't hose you on labor to install the new amp but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is another $100+ in labor

Matthew
Old 03-18-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

So can you explain to a dummy what the issue with the 2 channel is? Are you saying all 4 speakers aren't being amped?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Sorry should have been more specific...

Yes only two of your four speakers are being amped

Unless they wired them together for some strange reason that i can't imagine

If you play with the fader on your head unit you can switch back and forth from the front speakers to the rear speakers and you should be able to hear a difference

To get into the fader function you need to push on the right hand big button on your factory stereo, keep pushing the button till you see F------R

Then turn that same knob back and forth and the marker will shift between F and R

Put it all the way on front and listen and then do the rear and listen, you ought to be able to notice a difference

Matthew
Old 03-18-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Sorry should have been more specific...

Yes only two of your four speakers are being amped

Unless they wired them together for some strange reason that i can't imagine

If you play with the fader on your head unit you can switch back and forth from the front speakers to the rear speakers and you should be able to hear a difference

To get into the fader function you need to push on the right hand big button on your factory stereo, keep pushing the button till you see F------R

Then turn that same knob back and forth and the marker will shift between F and R

Put it all the way on front and listen and then do the rear and listen, you ought to be able to notice a difference

Matthew

Yeah i know how to do that Fade all the way to rear= no sound...if its faded equally tho the rears are on...
Old 03-18-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kh202
Yeah i know how to do that Fade all the way to rear= no sound...if its faded equally tho the rears are on...
hmm.

ok. so what happens if you fade all the way to the front?

matthew
Old 03-18-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

hmm.

ok. so what happens if you fade all the way to the front?

matthew

sounds normal, maybe just a little louder

Quick Reply: New speakers and amp in 2012