Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New speakers and amp in 2012

Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well went over to crutchfield and looked at those speakers...they seem awfully low end

They don't carry Jensen so no amp info

You may just have crappy speakers with a questionable amp?

Maybe I'm wrong that amp is really good...others will post and help out

Matthew
Old 03-18-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxingAdvisor
a sound system is only as strong as its weakest link. I would suggest a Kenwood Excelon or Pioneer Avic head unit. I would return that Jensen amp, as Jensen is universally recognized as crap, get a nice JL or Alpine 4 channel - I dont know too much about the speakers you got, but an upgraded set of 60-80 dollar speakers in a JK is typically sufficient because jk accoustics suck anyway and you won't hear the difference of a $200 set anyway. for your low end you'll need a sub setup, i kind of kiddingly recommended mine, but in truth it might make sense for you. You'll need a sub enclosure, a sub, and a second amp to push it. With all of those items, and a qualified installer who knows what they're doing, your system will rock.

Round figures, a very nice aftermarket system in a jk should run 1500-2000 installed.

You kinda got ripped if you were charged $600+ for parts and labor on four 6.5's installed with a Jensen amp.

What would be involved in swapping for a 4 channel?? Would that be a quick swap? (sorry i'm clueless)...to be honest, i'm really not interested in a "system" at all...i just wanted a nice little upgrade from stock for when the top is off. From my research, i thought this would do the trick. I think i'm going to be a dick if i have to and get them to swap the jensen for the alpine 4 amp i originally wanted and go from there..
Old 03-18-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kh202
What would be involved in swapping for a 4 channel?? Would that be a quick swap? (sorry i'm clueless)...to be honest, i'm really not interested in a "system" at all...i just wanted a nice little upgrade from stock for when the top is off. From my research, i thought this would do the trick. I think i'm going to be a dick if i have to and get them to swap the jensen for the alpine 4 amp i originally wanted and go from there..
You would have been better off with no amp and just two pairs of good speakers...

I have two really good jl amps and a fairly high end alpine head unit from my previous ride and there sitting in a box in my garage...for my two door jk I chose to just go with two pairs of kicker speakers, components up front and coaxial in the sound bar andy system sounds pretty solid

I'm weird I kinda like the head unit in the jk and I already had my previous jeep broken into for the head unit...so I decided to start out simple with this jeep

Matthew
Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I don't think your fix is someone trying to clean out their garage and sell you their leftover home built sub box

Matthew
Matthew, I resent that you chose to take a shot at my subwoofer enclosure. This "home built box" is 10x the box that Quadratec wants to sell you for $349.00 - the box that has 1/2" plywood construction. The individual who ends up with the box I built will get a box that significantly trumps the build quality and acoustics of that Q-Tec box, at a fraction of the price. And a nice deal on a Kicker L7 to boot.

Don't be so quick to knock home built - just because it has a Walmart tag on it , doesn't mean its good. Sometimes good old fashioned expertise and hard work trumps what "the machine" tells you is better.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Junkie

Not to beat a dead horse but did you get one pair of speakers or two?

When you said two channel amp I ASSumed you just went with front speakers

Matthew
Old 03-18-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BoxingAdvisor
Matthew, I resent that you chose to take a shot at my subwoofer enclosure. This "home built box" is 10x the box that Quadratec wants to sell you for $349.00 - the box that has 1/2" plywood construction. The individual who ends up with the box I built will get a box that significantly trumps the build quality and acoustics of that Q-Tec box, at a fraction of the price. And a nice deal on a Kicker L7 to boot.

Don't be so quick to knock home built - just because it has a Walmart tag on it , doesn't mean its good. Sometimes good old fashioned expertise and hard work trumps what "the machine" tells you is better.
I'm sure it's a great box, just couldn't resist...wasn't really going to fix his problem of getting hosed with crap speakers, garbage amp and felony install charges!

Matthew
Old 03-18-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kh202
One more set of LOCs and hooking up the additional speakers. It would be very quick for an experienced installer.

An Alpine 4 channel should be leaps and bounds ahead of a two channel Jensen (based on assumptions, I don't know the specifics of either amp you're referencing!)

The addition of another amp and a sub would give you plenty of low-end and can be had for reasonably cheap. A decent 8" sub would be fine. Ideally, your 4 channel amp would have pre-amp outputs to simplify wiring the sub amp.

Last edited by Patman; 03-18-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Well I know nothing about this stuff, but i just spent about 5 min screwing around with some settings on the amp based on what i read in the supplied instruction manual and it sounds a little, maybe even a lot better...what a bunch of boneheads lol.

I think i'm going tomorrow and insist they swap the amp with the 4 channel i wanted with no labor charge. I at least go rid of most of the "farting sound"
Old 03-18-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Not to beat a dead horse but did you get one pair of speakers or two?

When you said two channel amp I ASSumed you just went with front speakers

Matthew
btw yes i replaced all four 6-1/2" speakers
Old 03-18-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Do you have two pairs of speakers or just one??

Still not sure why you got a two channel amp...

Do you know what other brands of speakers they carry?

It's hard to tell what needs swapping out more, the amp or the speakers...

What setting did you change on the amp that made it sound better?

Quick Reply: New speakers and amp in 2012