Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New speakers and amp in 2012

Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New speakers and amp in 2012

Got my 2012 sport s 2 weeks ago and realize how awful the sound system is. It's in the shop right now getting new pioneer speakers and a 200 Watt amp installed..

Can't wait to hear it later today!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know the feeling. i got mine changed 1 week after i bought my jeep
much better now huh?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

I am actually very disappointed.. It is definitely louder but the sound is not good at all.. The front speakers really break up/ farting sound at high volume... Still absolutely no low end/ bass whatsoever..

I don't know what to do.. Will a new headunit really make that much Of a night And Day difference??? Really didn't want have to replace the headunit and lose my free serius... But for $638 I'm pretty pissed right now
Old 03-18-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jk202
I am actually very disappointed.. It is definitely louder but the sound is not good at all.. The front speakers really break up/ farting sound at high volume... Still absolutely no low end/ bass whatsoever..

I don't know what to do.. Will a new headunit really make that much Of a night And Day difference??? Really didn't want have to replace the headunit and lose my free serius... But for $638 I'm pretty pissed right now
It depends...a new unit would definitely send a clearer signal to the amp

I haven't had any pioneer gear since I had my first car

Post your speaker and amp model and maybe someone is familiar with it and can tell you more specifics

How do the front speakers sound? Where did you have it installed, like a best buy or a place that does a lot of custom work?

An amp can be misconfigured

Call the place you had it done and have them look it over...

Matthew
Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jk202

I know what to do... for starters here is your bass solution:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...b-Possible-Amp
Old 03-18-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Junkie

I had it installed at a local car audio shop... The speakers are Pioneer TS-A1674r's and the amp is a Jensen 2 channel 200w. i was planning on installing Polk DXI650s but the guy, who has been doing it for 20 years said they were junk ...so i took his advice and went with his suggestion. I mean the speakers have a 5 star customer review on crutchfield if that means anything..

I just think for the money i spent i should have gotten better results. Just don't know what I should do? My question is if i go with an Alpine CDE-122 that has pandora integrated in, does the output to the speakers come from the headunit or my iphone..right now, if i listen to Serius, the sound is ok but anything thru the AUX sounds horrible.

I'm just afraid to spend another $200-300 to have a new headunit installed if its just gonna be ok...will i get better low end just from that?

i really like to and right now i'd be embarrassed at a stop light with the top off lol
Old 03-18-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BoxingAdvisor
I know what to do... for starters here is your bass solution:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...b-Possible-Amp
so you would add sub or sub and head unit? I really don't want both, i'm not looking to have a chest pounding thump, but right now it honestly sounds like a really loud laptop lol
Old 03-18-2012, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kh202
so you would add sub or sub and head unit? I really don't want both, i'm not looking to have a chest pounding thump, but right now it honestly sounds like a really loud laptop lol
I don't think your fix is someone trying to clean out their garage and sell you their leftover home built sub box

I don't know jensen at all but I always thought they were pretty low end...

I don't know that model Polk speakers but they generally make really good stuff

So you spent that much and it's only a two channel?

How much was the install??

I would call them up tomorrow and see if they can look it over...maybe they missed something.

Matthew
Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I don't think your fix is someone trying to clean out their garage and sell you their leftover home built sub box

I don't know jensen at all but I always thought they were pretty low end...

I don't know that model Polk speakers but they generally make really good stuff

So you spent that much and it's only a two channel?

How much was the install??

I would call them up tomorrow and see if they can look it over...maybe they missed something.

Matthew
Amp was $100, labor 215...install kit was 50 and 2 PAC LOCs...
Old 03-18-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
a sound system is only as strong as its weakest link. I would suggest a Kenwood Excelon or Pioneer Avic head unit. I would return that Jensen amp, as Jensen is universally recognized as crap, get a nice JL or Alpine 4 channel - I dont know too much about the speakers you got, but an upgraded set of 60-80 dollar speakers in a JK is typically sufficient because jk accoustics suck anyway and you won't hear the difference of a $200 set anyway. for your low end you'll need a sub setup, i kind of kiddingly recommended mine, but in truth it might make sense for you. You'll need a sub enclosure, a sub, and a second amp to push it. With all of those items, and a qualified installer who knows what they're doing, your system will rock.

Round figures, a very nice aftermarket system in a jk should run 1500-2000 installed.

You kinda got ripped if you were charged $600+ for parts and labor on four 6.5's installed with a Jensen amp.

Quick Reply: New speakers and amp in 2012