Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New speakers are 6.5 but too small to install

Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With the stock head unit, can anything be done to help the rear speakers? Like sound deadening material or something?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you by regular 6.5's then you're going to need the kit so the speakers fit the sound bar, I suggest returning or selling those and going with the Mopar Kicker's as these fit right into both the front and rear and sound amazing, I'm running 4 of these and an 8" SO subwoofer underneath the driver seat and the sound is perfect!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran onto this problem when installing my Boston Acoustic Pro components in the sound bar. I just cut the outer plastic ring off of the factory speaker and mounted the Boston to it. The speaker cover fit a little tight, but it's on there and looks good. Best of all the Jeep sounds great.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Eckman
I purchased a pair of Kenwood KFC-1662S as everything I read stated that 6.5 speakers will bolt right in the 2007 JK sound bar. The factory speakers have tabs that protrude outward too allow for mounting. The Kenwoods do not. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks.
Yes. I bought a pair of Sony 4 way speakers and had the same problem.
I just wound up securing as much as the perimeter of both speakers as I could and leaving the same crescent gap in the same place in both sides, acting as a resonance port.
Works just fine.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by enzo319
Chrysler limited the sound level to the rears (no full range with the infinity system). so JK Jedi is right. If you spent $xxx on a pair of 6.5's for the rears it would sound about the same. clarity may b different but the sound will still be crap. throw those 6.5's in the front. if you ever wanted to get full sound out of the rears you have 2 options:

1-get a new head unit with 3 sets of preamp outputs - rears fronts and subwoofer. Disconnect the infinity amp and get a 4 channel amp and run each line to the appropriate speaker

2-get the nitro amp. many threads on this topic. i have it...i can tell a major difference. i have an aftermarket HU w/ the infinity system and unfortunately with the PAC you cannot fade the fronts or rears. nitro amp will run you about $125-150 online. at that rate u may want to consider option #1. its ur ears, enjoy the sound as u want. good luck
I can tell a lot of difference in the clarity when I replaced the sound bar speakers with Sony X-Plode. I'll do the same with the front ones I suppose the 4th of July weekend. I really dread tearing into that front dash though.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

it does take awhile to do the fronts so plan accordingly. just take ur time when putting back in the drivers side...depending on the speaker u have, u could rip off a tweeter. overall....just be patient!! if u get frustrated (and u will) walk away.

Tip - for me on the drivers side....i removed the crossbar underneath the drivers side knee panel. made it easier to remove and replace the driver side speaker box. also a set of of those speaker connectors from crutchfield. no splicing required.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 2 questions maybe some one can answer?
#1 has any one butchered the the factory sound bar speaker for the outer rings to make adaptors for new 6.5 speakers?
#2 has any one taken apart the factory infinity amp to see if it has a gain control hidden for the rear?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

if you want more sound coming from the rear speakers just get speakers for the roll bar. I did it and it sounded great, but that was two year ago and i've blown them since then
Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

If u need rings as far as adapters go, I'm sure ur local stereo place carries them. If ur using them for the fronts u may need 2 cut some of the tabs off. Do a test fit 1st. I did not have luck using them in the sound bar. Just drilled new holes and used the included metal tabs.

2. Never taken apart the amp. Electricity and me r not good friends

Quick Reply: New speakers are 6.5 but too small to install