Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New speakers are 6.5 but too small to install

Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New speakers are 6.5 but too small to install

I purchased a pair of Kenwood KFC-1662S as everything I read stated that 6.5 speakers will bolt right in the 2007 JK sound bar. The factory speakers have tabs that protrude outward too allow for mounting. The Kenwoods do not. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

If you're running a stock head unit, do yourselves a favor: The front and rear speakers are identical. Get a single pair of Mopar Kicker JK replacement speakers. These are truly bolt/plug in. Replace the two front speakers (okay, it's a pain to access, but the speakers will fit). The two rear speakers are next to useless not because of the speakers, but because of the head unit. Take your old front speaker/s and use to replace any bad rear speakers. Adjust your fade so most of the sound comes from the front (it won't be difficult since barely any sound comes from the rear). You should be very pleased with the results.

I ran around for six months with Kickers in the front and stocks in the rear. Finally got around to replacing the rears with Kickers and could not tell the difference. Then, compared my RES system to the Infinity system in Interceptor_1972's Jeep. At first his sounded just as good. Until we faded the sound to front speakers only. And his sounded like crap and mine sounded great. Replace those front speakers and don't sweat the rears!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I have the infinity system for my Sahara do I already have those?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mark,
So the stock head unit is set up to reduce the output to the soundbar speakers? I really don't have a huge problem with the overall sound. It's just when I set the fade all the way to the rear, it sounds horrible. The front speakers sound fine. I had a gift card and just wanted a little upgrade in the soundbar. I read all these posts about the Kickers making a huge difference in the soundbar. With that said, are you saying I will not even hear a difference with different speakers in the soundbar?

thanks for your reply.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrysler limited the sound level to the rears (no full range with the infinity system). so JK Jedi is right. If you spent $xxx on a pair of 6.5's for the rears it would sound about the same. clarity may b different but the sound will still be crap. throw those 6.5's in the front. if you ever wanted to get full sound out of the rears you have 2 options:

1-get a new head unit with 3 sets of preamp outputs - rears fronts and subwoofer. Disconnect the infinity amp and get a 4 channel amp and run each line to the appropriate speaker

2-get the nitro amp. many threads on this topic. i have it...i can tell a major difference. i have an aftermarket HU w/ the infinity system and unfortunately with the PAC you cannot fade the fronts or rears. nitro amp will run you about $125-150 online. at that rate u may want to consider option #1. its ur ears, enjoy the sound as u want. good luck

Last edited by enzo319; 06-13-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

ENZO - I don't have the Infinity System, does that make a difference? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok that's fine. Drop the 6.5's in ur dash then. Down the rd upgrade ur headunit then snag a 4 channel amp and u'll b rockin in no time. One other option since u don't have the infinity is look @ alpines website. Under the amp area there is a 'brick' that u can get which will give u I wanna say 45 watts continous rms. B about $100
Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

ENZO & MARK - Only because I am hard-headed [and I knew it would be quick], I got my hands on the speaker adapter rings and went ahead and installed the new Kenwoods in soundbar. Guess what? wait for it...wait for it...They sounded exactly the same.

I returned the speakers, got my gift card re-filled and am back to the drawing board. However I do have some good ideas now. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hahaha. Sorry 2 laugh but I loved the ''...wait for it'' Its all good man. I would have just threw those puppies in the front n called it a day. The fronts do take some time so plan ahead if u decide 2 go 4 those in the future. Pm me if u need help.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow aftermarket hu blew one of ur rears? Hmm yea I would upgrade ur fronts. Plan ahead as the fronts do take aome time. Especially the drivers side

Quick Reply: New speakers are 6.5 but too small to install