Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Speaker Replacement Notice from Jeep

Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So was it all the speakers they replaced, or just the ones in the soundbar?

I have to set something up with the dealership in the next couple days for my jeep and while I'm in there I'd like to get those speakers swapped out if I can.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

I think I will be making a call to the dealership once the rest of the world decides to start its day.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
TSB = technical service bulletin

In most cases if you dont know to ask, or your going in to have the TSB work done without knowing it, most dealers won't just offer it up.
Thats right, I have looked at the TSB list on the site here and it isn't listed. I had no idea about this untill the service advisor gave me the heads up. He printed off the technical note for the tech and I glanced at it noting the speaker replacement and Amplifier re-programming. It works well.

Did not show up on Jeep.com for me either, I am sure anything listed there would me major recall issues.

As far as I can tell, RRT has something to do with "Rapid Response . . . " and indicates for dealerships to complete the task to sold units and any remaining on the lot before delivery.

I couldn't hurt to call up the dealership with your VIN to ask.

fyi, my build date was Sept. 29th, 2007.

Cheers,

Last edited by Matt08jk; 10-20-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

I didn't need the speaker replacement, but the Amp thing did the trick for me. I had the "pop" whenever I played MP3's or CD's. I had mine done back in March. People are surprised and jealous when I tell them that my system is "stock".
Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gryph0n
I didn't need the speaker replacement, but the Amp thing did the trick for me. I had the "pop" whenever I played MP3's or CD's. I had mine done back in March. People are surprised and jealous when I tell them that my system is "stock".

Yes, I also had the original TSB about reprogramming the amp done in February, but I noticed the power of the system was decreased.

This last job brought back the low frequencies to fill out the sound back to where it was new but without the poping.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matt08jk
Yes, I also had the original TSB about reprogramming the amp done in February, but I noticed the power of the system was decreased.

This last job brought back the low frequencies to fill out the sound back to where it was new but without the poping.
Weird, dealership "told" me that they just looked it up by VIN, and if there was a TSB out for anything that it would pop up for my vehicle, and there was nothing that hasn't already been done. I do know that I never got new speakers though. Weird. I think I will be watching this thread to see results from others as well concerning this matter.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

I went to ask the dealership about this saturday when getting the oil changed. He told me my VIN did indicate that that I needed this tsb. No popping when I got my jeep back. I asked if they replaced the speakers, he said "no, just updated the computer. I can't tell if there is a lower output. but no popping sound anymore.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, on my way to the dealership.....the speakers started popping listening to AC/DC's black ice album...what a horrible popping. The good thing was I was heading into the dealership to get an oil change, Freedom Top Panels fixed for the leak over dash and wind noise & clunky clutch noise.

So, I added popping speakers to my list and showed Matt's RRT number....they told me that's just a number for that particular vehicle "who knows??"

...but they will look into it. Also, handed them all the PDF papers for the Leaky top and TSB annoucements....they looked a little dumb founded where I got the paper work from!!! I love this forum!!!!

We will see by the end of the day...if they get this corrected. Thanks for the thread Matt!!!!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

It may be vehicle specific, they did not tell me that much, maybe some need the speakers and some don't. My build date was Sept 29, 2007.

But it was able to eliminate the poping and retain the bass so I wanted to let others know to check with the dealer.

I hope it works out. I wouldn't be surprised if my speakers were damaged from the horrible random crackling and popping I had last fall.

Last edited by Matt08jk; 10-31-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt08jk
It may be vehicle specific, they did not tell me that much, maybe some need the speakers and some don't. My build date was Sept 29, 2007.

But it was able to eliminate the poping and retain the bass so I wanted to let others know to check with the dealer.

I hope it works out. I wouldn't be surprised if my speakers were damaged from the horrible random crackling and popping I had last fall.
That is my feeling...wondering how great the speakers are after that popping....I only had it on +3 for Bass and terible was down to +1 and volume at 12. Wow did it pop and bang.....but never did this with the Sirius ONLY CD's and MP3's.

We have owned our JK just 1 week shy of 1 year and it just started doing this. I hope my dealership techs looks at speaker popping thread I printed out and replaces the speakers and tunes the amp. Also, hoping the freedom top over dash leak and wind noise is fixed along with the clunky clutch.

Quick Reply: New Speaker Replacement Notice from Jeep