Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New OBD2 gauge installed - Aeroforce Interceptor

Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michelle@az
part# of the one you got?
I don't know the part #, but if you go to the order page and click on the Chrysler logo, then select the CNC Series gauge (right side of page) - that's the one you want. You can customize your color choices when you order.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cnc or cn? i thought it said cn.

how much did you pay? (sorry, i'm on my aircard and its slow as .. i dunno, something really slow)
Old 08-06-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michelle@az
cnc or cn? i thought it said cn.

how much did you pay? (sorry, i'm on my aircard and its slow as .. i dunno, something really slow)
It shows CNCX01 for the JK...aeroforcetech.com/files/Aeroforce_application_guide_basic3.pdf
Old 08-06-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where is the tranny temp sensor located on the automatics? I'm just wondering where the ecu gets its temp reading from , which would affect how accurate the gauge is. This thing definately looks interesting though.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by afoulk
Where is the tranny temp sensor located on the automatics? I'm just wondering where the ecu gets its temp reading from , which would affect how accurate the gauge is. This thing definately looks interesting though.
From the Factory Service Manual:
The transmission temperature sensor (2) is located in the transmission range sensor (1) and communicates transmission sump temperature to the TCM.
and
The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) (2) is mounted to the top of the valve body inside the transmission and can only be serviced by removing the valve body assembly. The electrical connector extends through the transmission case.
So the answer is...the sensor lies somewhere deep in the bowels of the transmission. I've heard varying opinions on the "best" place to measure transmission temperature - some say it's on the way out to the cooler (since that's where the temp will be at its highest); some say on the way back from the cooler (since that's the temp of the fluid after it's been cooled and before it flows back into the transmission); others say in the pan (since that is as close as you can get to the transmission internals). I would say deep inside the transmission is about as good as you can get, since that's where the fluid is making contact with the internal parts and doing its thing. What it doesn't tell you is the maximum temperature your fluid is reaching, and I think that's what you're getting at. It would be nice to know how hot your fluid gets at its hottest point, because that would give you an idea on the longevity of your fluid.

FYI, I get readings around 150-170 in stop-and-go traffic, and 120 on the highway. I have a B&M transmission cooler installed in front of my radiator. I will be towing my trailer (3000 lbs) in the mountains next weekend, which is the main reason I wanted to be able to watch transmission temperature. I'll let you know what kind of readings I get on that trip.

Last edited by undertow119; 08-07-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

The factory transmission temperature sensor is mounted in the valve body because it is included in the range selector sensor. The temp probe sticks down into the sump fluid.
Short term temp spikes as would be seen in the torque converter are normal and do not degrade the fluid. It is the long term rise in average temp in the sump which will degrade the fluid. High temp in the sump means the fluid is getting hotter than the cooler can handle. It's like the engine temperature. There are very hot areas in the head, but the water temp (and oil temp for some) is the index of engine health.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Now that is slick. Do you remember which autometer pod you used or where you ordered it form.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GadgetFreek
Now that is slick. Do you remember which autometer pod you used or where you ordered it form.

Same question from me!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Where/how did you mount this? is this picture from your own install?
Looks cool
Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Beautiful find, great report. Thx

Quick Reply: New OBD2 gauge installed - Aeroforce Interceptor