Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New OBD2 gauge installed - Aeroforce Interceptor

Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Aeroforce Interceptor is rapidly making me a believer that the JK is short of cooling capacity.

Today I made quick run of about 20 miles on a fast dirt road. 20 miles, 2wd, 40 mph, going from 4500 ft to 6000, and 67 degrees outside. On the way up the engine temp was 215-219 and the trans temp 195. On the way back down the engine was 195-200 and trans temp was 175. The only real differnce was a gradual climb of 1500 ft over 20 miles (!!!!!) and then on the way back loosing the same 1500 ft. FWIW the AC was on and on recirc to keep the dust out. My personal feeling is that these temps are both too high given the lack of load, moderate speed (not crawling but not fast and drag inducing but plenty of air across the radiator) and 67 degree ambient temp.

I think we got short-changed on radiator capacity.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
The Aeroforce Interceptor is rapidly making me a believer that the JK is short of cooling capacity.

Today I made quick run of about 20 miles on a fast dirt road. 20 miles, 2wd, 40 mph, going from 4500 ft to 6000, and 67 degrees outside. On the way up the engine temp was 215-219 and the trans temp 195. On the way back down the engine was 195-200 and trans temp was 175. The only real differnce was a gradual climb of 1500 ft over 20 miles (!!!!!) and then on the way back loosing the same 1500 ft. FWIW the AC was on and on recirc to keep the dust out. My personal feeling is that these temps are both too high given the lack of load, moderate speed (not crawling but not fast and drag inducing but plenty of air across the radiator) and 67 degree ambient temp.

I think we got short-changed on radiator capacity.
I really need to order one of these. It would be interesting to see what the temp differences are with my jeep and another doing the same road or trial driving being that I have an after market griffin radiator that has 25% more cooling capacity according to griffin.

Chuck are you able to tell the temps when the fan comes on low and high?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tkob1060
I really need to order one of these. It would be interesting to see what the temp differences are with my jeep and another doing the same road or trial driving being that I have an after market griffin radiator that has 25% more cooling capacity according to griffin.

Chuck are you able to tell the temps when the fan comes on low and high?
As of yet I heven't been able to tell by sound when the fan goes to high. But all the sudden there will be a pretty quick 10 degree drop and I assume the fan went to high when that happens. I wish the unit would tell you fan speed.

I've had the Aeroforce in for a month now - and I'm really wondering what my temps were last year in Moab in July and August. I was leaning towards getting a Griffin and now that I've seen the temps, in Feb and March, I am going to get the Griffin. May even look at upgrading the fan. Does the new Superchip give any fan control? It may help if we could drop the temps at which it comes on or goes to high.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

I really love the griffin, I really believe it does do a lot better job keeping the jeep cooler. I had a ton of trouble with the stock rad clogging up with dirt/mud. I was constantly taking the fan shroud out so I could get it good and clean and it would still run hot sometimes. I have yet to have to clean out the griffin and have been thru more mud then I was with the stock rad. Definitely worth the price in my opinion.

here is link to pics of the griffin install
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/griffin-radiator-35612/

I should order the aero this week, I could tell you if changing the temp with the hypertech from 195 to 185 changes anything then.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tkob1060
I should order the aero this week, I could tell you if changing the temp with the hypertech from 195 to 185 changes anything then.
If you get it let us know what happens witht hte hypertech. I'd really like to ge tthings dialed in before the heat of summer.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

is this compatible with the flashpaq? looks like a worthwhile item
Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hoopa70
I bought a single gauge and it takes up the OBDII port. When I need to use my Flashpaq, I just unplug the gauge, make my changes with the flashpaq, and plug the gauge back in. No issues thus far.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MoridinTX
I bought a single gauge and it takes up the OBDII port. When I need to use my Flashpaq, I just unplug the gauge, make my changes with the flashpaq, and plug the gauge back in. No issues thus far.
I do the same thing with my Hypertech Max Energy - unplug the gauge and program away. Plug it back in when done and no problems.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hoopa70
Yup. I have both. They are both very worthwhile.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuck45
Yup. I have both. They are both very worthwhile.
just got mine. very cool little item

Quick Reply: New OBD2 gauge installed - Aeroforce Interceptor