Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New OBD2 gauge installed - Aeroforce Interceptor

Old 02-22-2009, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

From the AeroForce Gauge User Manual:

Bi-Directional Controls (may not work on every Chrysler):
1. Low Speed fan control – works on most Chrysler
2. High Speed fan control – works on most Chrysler
3. TCM reset – Transmission reset
4. ESP disable/enable
Old 02-22-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
I would think low and high or regular and high would be two speed...
Originally Posted by ronjenx
From the service manual:

COOLING SYSTEM COMPONENTS
The cooling system consists of:

...2 Speed Electric Cooling Fan ...

Guess it’s regular and high.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

From the AeroForce Gauge User Manual:

Bi-Directional Controls (may not work on every Chrysler):
1. Low Speed fan control – works on most Chrysler
2. High Speed fan control – works on most Chrysler
3. TCM reset – Transmission reset
4. ESP disable/enable
Guess they call it low and high.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 PM
JK Super Freak

From the service manual:

COOLING SYSTEM COMPONENTS
The cooling system consists of:

Charge Air Cooler (Diesel engine)
2 Speed Electric Cooling Fan
Does the service manual give temps for activating the fan?
Before I dick with the settings it would be nice to know what the stock setting was.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:40 PM
JK Newbie

i like the gauge my only wory would be is it going to afect my hypertec max energy i would say no because it is just a gauge but let me know
Old 03-22-2009, 12:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Default After having the interceptor installed and wheeling....

I've got some observations. I primarily monitor engine and trans temps. The factory dash gauge sucks. It sits in the same spot while the Int. reads between 185 and 215. Turning the AC on seems to knock the temp down about 10 degrees (probably because the fan goes on high speed). When driving around town the temp was 195-200. Go slow in the rocks and you are 215.

Trans temp is TREMENDOUSLY INFLUENCED by your speed and whether you are climbing. In Moab last weekend, with temps in the high 30's and 40's trans temps where around 175 on the streets and quicker dirt trails. Get in the rocks and get slow and you're at 210-215 real quick. I have a trans oil cooler I'm going to install but I wanted to get some real world useage with the Interceptor under my belt so I'd have some comparisons to make. I think that in the summer with temps above 100 the trans must run way too hot. The trans cooler I have is a fairly large B&M with it's own fan. I really want to keep the trans temp close to 190-200 in the summer.

I'm seriously thinking that a 180 thermostat to replace the 195 may be a good idea (if it wouldn't mess up the computer). Also thinking a bigger radiator with more rows would be good. Also a better fan or a way to turn the stock one on to high speed at a lower temp and regardless of wheter the AC is on.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jejome
i like the gauge my only wory would be is it going to afect my hypertec max energy i would say no because it is just a gauge but let me know
I have both - no problems. Need to disconnect the gauge to reprogram, but no biggie.

Originally Posted by chuck45
I've got some observations. I primarily monitor engine and trans temps. The factory dash gauge sucks. It sits in the same spot while the Int. reads between 185 and 215. Turning the AC on seems to knock the temp down about 10 degrees (probably because the fan goes on high speed). When driving around town the temp was 195-200. Go slow in the rocks and you are 215.

Trans temp is TREMENDOUSLY INFLUENCED by your speed and whether you are climbing. In Moab last weekend, with temps in the high 30's and 40's trans temps where around 175 on the streets and quicker dirt trails. Get in the rocks and get slow and you're at 210-215 real quick. I have a trans oil cooler I'm going to install but I wanted to get some real world useage with the Interceptor under my belt so I'd have some comparisons to make. I think that in the summer with temps above 100 the trans must run way too hot. The trans cooler I have is a fairly large B&M with it's own fan. I really want to keep the trans temp close to 190-200 in the summer.
On mine, the A/C forces the fan on low speed regardless of the engine temp. Exceeding 215 engine temp causes it to go to high speed until the temp goes below 205 - A/C on or not.

I have a B&M Supercooler for the transmission (no fan). I noticed that 210 is still pretty quick to get to - especially if crawling up long, steep grades. The good news is I tow a trailer around 3500# and the temp stays around the same as the engine temp regardless of steepness of grade - at least so far. Haven't exceeded 215.

I have the Aeroforce gauge set to flash warning lights if the transmission temp exceeds 210. Let's me know I should keep an eye on things. I noticed that turning the heater on high (weather permitting) cools things off pretty quickly - as expected. I also noticed that leaving the A/C on keeps things in check. On a previous thread there was much argument on whether the A/C would create more heat than the engine fan would disipate. My experience is it keeps things cooler. Only been to 90 degrees outside so far, so we'll see what happens at 115 (yeah, this is AZ).
Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Has anyone noticed that transmission gets hotter when in Drive or in a selected Gear (like 1 or 2)? I know that when I’m in 4 Hi and driving on a trail I can just leave it in First or Second and not Drive - it that helps keep it cooler.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joe002
Has anyone noticed that transmission gets hotter when in Drive or in a selected Gear (like 1 or 2)? I know that when I’m in 4 Hi and driving on a trail I can just leave it in First or Second and not Drive - it that helps keep it cooler.
hmm you are saying it stays cooler if you keep jeep in 1st or 2nd then if you keep it in drive on the trail? I would think it would be other way around.

Hey if possible can you tell at what engine temps the rad fan comes on high and low speeds? I need to know for spal fan I am going to get.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tkob1060
hmm you are saying it stays cooler if you keep jeep in 1st or 2nd then if you keep it in drive on the trail? I would think it would be other way around...
Actually, I'm asking - I don't know because I don't have the Aeroforce Interceptor yet and was wondering which way keep the transmission cooler. I can think up arguments for both ways, but I was wondering if someone who has the gauge actually knows which way works better.

Quick Reply: New OBD2 gauge installed - Aeroforce Interceptor