Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New OBD2 gauge installed - Aeroforce Interceptor

Old 02-21-2009, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
thanks man

i asked about getting one of these for the diesel but they said it probably wont work cuz the computer is different
anytime. At least your lucky enough to have the diesel. Hope you get a gauge solution as well. Maybe next year (2010 model year) they will offer diesel in the US, then you should see more aftermarket products.

Take care.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

it seems this gauge is pretty popular (i think i will be getting one soon!); has there been a general consensus on what the gauges say about how hot the auto trans in the jk gets?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any idea if they could integrate the high idle ramp up like the AEV Procal has. This unit would be my first choice if it could do that funtion. The tilt will make it great for recentering the steering wheel after a lift or ajustment plus all the gauge funtions.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by silver rubicon
it seems this gauge is pretty popular (i think i will be getting one soon!); has there been a general consensus on what the gauges say about how hot the auto trans in the jk gets?
Well, I just made a jaunt to Moab yesterday (it's only 95 miles from the house) after installing my Aeroforce the day before. Now granted what I say is only of limited value in that the temps while driving over were in the 30's and wheeling was in the 50-55 degree range. While driving over, part freeway, part river road, the trans temps were in the 130-140 range. Slow driving around town maybe 150. Out on the trail it went higher. I was with our local Jeep Club and the members had chosen Fins and Things and Hells Revenge. Trans temps then were in the 180-190 range. I may have seen 192-193 one time but I'm not sure. I'd say it was mostly about 185. The group we were with was 12 vehicles and we had some greenhornes with us so we didn't move very quickly and stopped a lot.

The thing that struck me was how much movement effected the temp. I imagine the temps will go quite a bit higher in the summer when the ambient can get up well over 100. If we just added 50 degrees to ambient hat would indicate a trans temp of 240 which is way too high. At any rate I wanted somewhat of a baseline before I install my new B&M trans cooler (with it's own fan that comes on at 175) and my 3 day trip back to Moab next month.

As to engine temp it stays around 190-200 pretty consistently. About the highest I saw was 205. My gut feeling is that I need to check on when the fan comes on and that the radiator may be a bit marginal in it's cooling capacity when you are in real low speed situations. Although there wasn't much variation in crawling and freeway temps; maybe 10 degrees. Again summer may be another issue entirely. Either way I now have a super way to monitor the engine and trans temp and I know the trans temp pickup is in a worst case place. I highly recommend the Aeroforce.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

chuck45,

I believe the aeroforce gauge can force the fan on, or at least make it come on sooner. Try that and see if the trans temps come down.
If I am not recalling this correctly, force the fan on by turning on the A/C. See if that makes a difference.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
chuck45,

I believe the aeroforce gauge can force the fan on, or at least make it come on sooner. Try that and see if the trans temps come down.
If I am not recalling this correctly, force the fan on by turning on the A/C. See if that makes a difference.
When I get some time, hopefully this week, I'll play with it. I'll note at what temp the fan comes on and play with the AC and see how that affects it.

Do you know if we have a two speed or one speed fan? I've heard both.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by chuck45
When I get some time, hopefully this week, I'll play with it. I'll note at what temp the fan comes on and play with the AC and see how that affects it.

I have heard both, too. I have witnessed only one.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
Does regular and high speed count as one or two speed?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joe002
Does regular and high speed count as one or two speed?
I would think low and high or regular and high would be two speed.

Either way we have a 195* thermostat. I've noticed that the temp rises pretty quickly to that point. I come from the old days were we ran 165 and 180 thermostats but I understand that these newer engines are supposed to run better if a bit on the warm side. But I don't want it to get much above 200 to 205. The fan may be coming on at 205 or so because it tends to go that high and then come down.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

From the service manual:

COOLING SYSTEM COMPONENTS
The cooling system consists of:

Charge Air Cooler (Diesel engine)
2 Speed Electric Cooling Fan
Mechanical fan drive (Diesel engine)
Aluminum-core radiator with plastic side tanks
Pressurized coolant recovery container (Diesel engine)
Ambient coolant recovery container (Gas engine)
Water pump
Combination A/C condenser/transmission oil cooler (automatic transmission)
Thermostat
Hoses and hose clamps

Quick Reply: New OBD2 gauge installed - Aeroforce Interceptor