Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Navi unit installed Nuvi 660

Old 06-20-2007, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Navi unit installed Nuvi 660

I got this from Sams's club. They had it for 599.99 (great price). Best buy had them for the dsame price but Best Buy charges a restocking fee and Sams has a no questions asked return policy. For this kind of monry, I wanted to make sure that this is what I wanted. Its hard to tell in the stores because they are always in demo mode and I could only tell If it was right for me by taking it for a test drive. I LOVE it. it is upgradable, voice prompted, turn by turn, bluetooth etc......this bad boy is loaded. I direct wired it into an ignition-hot source. The nav is great, the bluetooth is flawless, the speaker is clear and loud (adjustable). The interactive touch screen works great and fool-proof. It does not do bread crumming of topo but I have a handheld for that. Worth the money? YES YES

Im not a salesman for the unit but I did a bunch of research on it. More info and specs can be found on the Garmin Website.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=8671
Old 06-20-2007, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

I like your wiring approach - that looks nice and clean. I am also using a portable GPS and will likely stay with it. I suppose the down side is if you change out to another solution you have the hole in the dash. I have debated mounting my GPS higher near the rear-view mirror and brining a wire up to the top of the windshield to get rid of the power cord dangling. I would be curious to hear how you went about the wiring - where you got power and what you had to pull apart, etc. Nice job!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

i pulled off the top cover (which is replaceable for 10 bucks from Mopar) , i just fed the wiring which was a 12 v cig plug that I cut the end off of. I have a cirkit boss remote fuse panel that I ran the wire to. Took me about 30 minutes total. Its hard to see but there is a rubber grommet that the power wire goes through in the top cover. It fits perfect and looks great
Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

I have had a NUVI 680 for a couple of months now. I have it mounted just to the right of the radio using Cool Tech, LLC's "VersaMount".
Anyway the NUVI is terrific. Suggest you reconsider the place you have mounted yours. Too much glare there and you are begging for someone to steal it. For lots of user feedback in regard to the NUVI, go here...http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/f...p?FORUM_ID=172
Old 06-26-2007, 12:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at that one also. Also considering a Tom Tom. Anybody know if one offers any advantage over the other?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:41 AM
JK Freak

Default A little GPS chat

I looked at GPS's till I was blue in the face and I came close to purchasing the Garmin unit in the previous post but wanted to breadcrumb in the Topo map mode. I didn't care about a Blue Tooth feature. I bought the Magellan Crossover for $408.00- It seems to work fine- I wish they had a better written manual. I was really pleased with it on a recent trek and use it a lot for work. SO far, in Vehicle Nav & Outdoor modes it's been flawless. The Garmin Nuvi did have a bigger screen which I wanted but The Crossover came in Jeep Green which was the deal maker for me.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love my Nuvi, I initially bought the $350 which has the 3.5 screen for $400 from Best Buy. But I loved it so much after using for 2 weeks, I 've exchanged it for the 650 bigger screen @ best buy for $599. It's so easy to use, I've used TomTom and Magellan in the past and was not very pleased. (You can even change the vehicle Icon on the Nuvi to a JEEP)
Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get the jeep icon for the nuvi. I found the truck but no jeep yet.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

its not a Jeep icon, its just a truck Icon. Looks close though
Old 06-27-2007, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billycj7
its not a Jeep icon, its just a truck Icon. Looks close though
Actually it is a Jeep icon, (white Jeep with the top down / bikini and duster deck cover) go to garmin.com and download additional vehicle icons. Just unzip them into the vehicle folder.

Quick Reply: New Navi unit installed Nuvi 660