Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Mopar Kicker speakers installed

Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here is the deal, your speaker Ohm is not as important as you make it out to be. There are 22 pages in this one post over it!

First, not all amps will push a higher watt at a lower ohm... look at the alpine pdx5 for example. Is anybody really sure what the factory amp can push at different ohms, infinity and non infinity?

Second, lets just say your amp will push twice the watts at 2 ohms compared to 4 ohms, some will but not many. It takes twice the watts to notice a 3 dB increase in volume! Most people can't even tell a difference.

There are some very important numbers to look for. 1. The RMS watts of a speaker, you don't want to under load a speaker. Don't overspend on very good speakers and not push them with the right equipment. 2. The sensitivity level of a speaker when it comes to getting the most volume from your system is must important. For instance, if speaker A was a 2 ohm speaker with a sensitivity of 89, and speaker B was 4 ohm with a sensitivity of 92, you just negated the idea of dropping your ohm level to get double the watts! if your amp could even do that!
Just try to mach speaker with amp, don't put a 2 ohm load to an amp that can't handle it.

In the end your ears are your best friend. They will tell you what sounds good and what does not. Audition as many as possible.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

The stock infinity system is a 2 ohm stable amp so I want to keep it 2 ohm.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Finished installing the 77KICK10 speakers in the front and rear. Took me about an hour to do the front ones and about 10 minutes for the rear speakers in the soundbar.

I will add the front ones are pain to get out, the instructions say the speakers are held in place with 3 Torx srews. Mine were held in place with standard phillips head screws. It made it a real pain to get a screwdriver at the proper angle since you dont take the entire plastic bezel surrounding the dash off.

I ended up securing the speakers with only 2 screws, getting the 3rd back in was to tight of an angle.

On a side note......... WOW TOTALLY WORTH IT! I actually had base going all the way down to the pedals at volume 22!

Originally Posted by Jk47
I have looked into the q-tech super tweets, but they cost almost the same as all 4 kicker replacment speakers and they stickout of the enclosure, making them look dumb.

I totally agree, those are the only plug and play tweeters I know about though.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nick526
Finished installing the 77KICK10 speakers in the front and rear. Took me about an hour to do the front ones and about 10 minutes for the rear speakers in the soundbar.

I will add the front ones are pain to get out, the instructions say the speakers are held in place with 3 Torx srews. Mine were held in place with standard phillips head screws. It made it a real pain to get a screwdriver at the proper angle since you dont take the entire plastic bezel surrounding the dash off.

I ended up securing the speakers with only 2 screws, getting the 3rd back in was to tight of an angle.

On a side note......... WOW TOTALLY WORTH IT! I actually had base going all the way down to the pedals at volume 22!

I totally agree, those are the only plug and play tweeters I know about though.
I agree that they are excellent. As an option, I took the install route of removing the speaker boxes first, and then switching the speakers. It seemed easier to me once I got in there, no weird angles, and took about 30-40 min.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Now I am new to this forum and I am interested in getting these speakers cause I need some better sound. I call the my local dealer and was told that they changed something in the 2011 model year. My question is will these fit in my 2011?

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just finished installing in my 2011 with the Infinity system. Also put in the Super Tweeters. Overall, nice upgrade.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zroe
Just finished installing in my 2011 with the Infinity system. Also put in the Super Tweeters. Overall, nice upgrade.
Are you using the supertweeters from quadratec? Can you give some more details/pics on these.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I finished installing the 77kick10 speakers yesterday. They do sound better, but for me it was not a "Night & Day" difference. After removing the original speakers, I am still glad I did this upgrade.

I started with the base RES (non-infinity) system. I replaced the head unit about a month ago with a JVC KW-AVX830. This made a world of difference. With equal balance/fade I had more volume coming from the rear speakers than I previously had with the RES @ +05 to the rear speakers.

Next I removed the rear sound bar and took out the stock speakers. I stuffed the soundbar full of polyfil and put in the new speakers. Just a not, if you have small children, have them assist with the stuffing. Their small arms can actually fit inside and rally stuff a good amount into the center.

Last, I tried to remove bod front speaker pods. The passenger side came out in about 5 minutes. The drivers side I gave up on after an hour. In the end I just removed the speaker, stuffed it full of polyfil in place, and installed the new speaker.

Final thoughts, while the sound isn't as exceptional as I had thought it would be based off of other peoples input. The stock speakers are complete trash. I do feel these are good replacements, especially for the price. I think the tweeters need to be replaced too and I need to wire in a sub so there is actually some bass.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default where to buy

so where is a good place to buy "77kick10s"?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by barnettd
so where is a good place to buy "77kick10s"?
Allusamotorsports.com. Or get quadratec to price match them.

Quick Reply: New Mopar Kicker speakers installed