Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Mopar Kicker speakers installed

Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AptPupil
thanks to the OP for posting this thread.
i've got the premium system with the sub and RER. i'm not really a fan of the kicker speaks. i'm very curious why they are the only noted replacement speakers in any jk forums. 6.5 rounds are quite common size. so, why aren't CDT, Morel, Rainbow, Focal, Diamond or anything else mentioned as replacement speakers?
I believe many of the better brand's 6.5s are too big or deep. I think Polk and Alpine make replacements... I am going to go w/ Polk when I get around to it.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkS1de
Got mine from the dealer today. He only had a pair in stock but he ordered me another set. Will be installing the ones I got in the rear first since they seem to be the easiest to get to.
I'd do the front first and get the pain out of the way.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wrangler07

I'd do the front first and get the pain out of the way.
Ya I was debating it yesterday but got lazy and replaced the soundbar speakers in under 10 minutes.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya I was debating it yesterday but got lazy and replaced the soundbar speakers in under 10 minutes.
What are your impressions of doing just the soundbar? I did the front ones first and it made a big enough difference that I have not gotten around to doing the soundbar yet. Did you see a big difference or not?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine last night/this am..... The fronts And the sound bar make a huge difference. Definitely worth the hassle of the driver side.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red Wings
What are your impressions of doing just the soundbar? I did the front ones first and it made a big enough difference that I have not gotten around to doing the soundbar yet. Did you see a big difference or not?
Definitely a noticeable difference. Can't wait to get the front ones. Hopefully Friday I can get the other set. If not maybe I'll take the ones I have out of the soundbar and install them in the front. How long did it take you to get the fronts done?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely a noticeable difference. Can't wait to get the front ones. Hopefully Friday I can get the other set. If not maybe I'll take the ones I have out of the soundbar and install them in the front. How long did it take you to get the fronts done?
Seems like it was about 45 minutes to an hour. I just took my time to make sure I didn't miss/break anything. One tip I will give you is to take the top screw out first and put it in last. It is by far the biggest pain to get to and if you do it this way it makes it a little bit easier to deal with as you don't have the added weight of the speaker making it bind up a little bit.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plastic panel bends quit a bit... I was afraid I was going to break it... It surprised me how much it was able to be bent out. Has anyone broke theirs?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NH-JK
The plastic panel bends quit a bit... I was afraid I was going to break it... It surprised me how much it was able to be bent out. Has anyone broke theirs?

I think youd have to try to break them, as long as your careful I dont see them Breaking. Also I think the difficulty of installing the front is over rated. Not saying its not a pain in the ass but it can all be done in less than an hour front and back
Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by NH-JK
If it's particularly cold, you might want to wait for the weather to warm up a bit--at least into the 50s. Some of the plastic in the Jeep gets pretty fragile when cold--I've broken a couple things (but not during a speaker install).

Quick Reply: New Mopar Kicker speakers installed