Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New LED Lights

Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LED Lights

Has anyone purchased the LED Light Cannons from Vision X? From what I read in JP Magazine, they have a single 25 Watt bulb with a range of (nearly) 1/4 mile, and have different filters for colors (not that that's necessary) and beam patterns (which is interesting). Has anyone tried this product? This may be a possible purchase from me because I like the benefits of LED lights, but I'm not a fan of the LED light bars, themselves. I prefer the traditional, round lights. So, has anybody bought these?

Edit: Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch to the Mods, I was just quoting some of the specs I saw on the article here: http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-r...november-2013/
Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gforce!
Has anyone purchased the LED Light Cannons from Vision X? From what I read in JP Magazine, they have a single 25 Watt bulb with a range of (nearly) 1/4 mile, and have different filters for colors (not that that's necessary) and beam patterns (which is interesting). Has anyone tried this product? This may be a possible purchase from me because I like the benefits of LED lights, but I'm not a fan of the LED light bars, themselves. I prefer the traditional, round lights. So, has anybody bought these?

Edit: Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch to the Mods, I was just quoting some of the specs I saw on the article here: New Jeep Products - November 2013 - Jp Magazine
A 1/4 mile... you can buy cheap HIDs that easily do that (that's only 400m). Your price/useable light - especially when you're looking for distance, still isn't quite there yet for LEDs.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nope, LED is not where its at for long distance forward lighting. I have truck lites and yes while they are a vast improvment over stock, when I turn on my Hella 500s with HID conversion, the truck lites dissapear.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Edit: Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch to the Mods, I was just quoting some of the specs I saw on the article here: New Jeep Products - November 2013 - Jp Magazine
i was lookin at them but they give off a yellowish light that im not a fan of so i decided to pass for now im hoping rigid will make a version of their own with the hyper white led chip.
Also not so sure why they are so expencive i have 50W led chips i can buy off of e bay for 10 to 15 bux and they have a 9000 Lumen output so why is their 25W chip so expencive i know the rest of that cost cant just be the housing.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Junkie

maybe the 50w led chips are not worth a pinch of shit. and I can almost guarantee they are not putting out 9000 lm.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
maybe the 50w led chips are not worth a pinch of shit. and I can almost guarantee they are not putting out 9000 lm.
no thats not the case i have a few of the chips i use for other projects and they are well made and extremly bright. Ive used them for out door lighting and garage lighting.

but you were right i gave the wrong spec they do between 4000lm and 5000 lm depending.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info, guys! I was trying to decide between these and HID's and I'll stick with my HID route. I'm about to do the HID headlight conversion anyway
Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the info, guys! I was trying to decide between these and HID's and I'll stick with my HID route. I'm about to do the HID headlight conversion anyway
watch the HID in the stock housings. If you drive in foggy, rainy or snowy conditions you will blind yourself with stray light. Its horrible. I had this setup and had to take it out because I could not see in any adverse weather conditions. Im not sure how HID will react in another housing, im guessing the hella housing will work good.

Adding a set of off road lights with HID is the bee's knees. My hella 500 driving beams have 55w HID in them. AMAZING lights. just remember don't go any higher than 4300K. that provides the most light available. The higher number lights put out blue light and decrease actual light output. As I said, I have truck lite headlights and they are the best I have used yet. sharp cut off for crap weather, nice bright light with no blue color. I have seen the cheap LED bars from ebay and its like they have blue LEDs in them...horrible and no light projection. My HID's just kill them in long distance lighting. I parked next to my friend with a 36" LED light and got him to turn his on first, ok, its fairly good....then I turned on my Hellas, and you could not tell his LED bar was on.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Kojack,

I'm planning on using the hella housings, actually. How many driving beams do you have? Of all the things on my Jeep I plan on overdoing, lights are the big one. I'm preparing to do 4-5 overhead lights (spot and flood combo (yes, I know a lot of light will be thrown on the hood)) and when I finish my bumper, I'm going to replace the fogs as well. Should I run a combo of led and hid for adverse weather? I'm in Kentucky, and it tends to rain and snow a decent amount every year. But the nights are very very dark, and it's hard to see deer and coyotes when you're driving, which is why I want so many lights. I understand the laws regarding lights, there really aren't many people on the roads I'm driving, so it won't pose an issue. I think there's one person per square mile where I live or something like that lol
Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kojack,

I'm planning on using the hella housings, actually. How many driving beams do you have? Of all the things on my Jeep I plan on overdoing, lights are the big one. I'm preparing to do 4-5 overhead lights (spot and flood combo (yes, I know a lot of light will be thrown on the hood)) and when I finish my bumper, I'm going to replace the fogs as well. Should I run a combo of led and hid for adverse weather? I'm in Kentucky, and it tends to rain and snow a decent amount every year. But the nights are very very dark, and it's hard to see deer and coyotes when you're driving, which is why I want so many lights. I understand the laws regarding lights, there really aren't many people on the roads I'm driving, so it won't pose an issue. I think there's one person per square mile where I live or something like that lol
If you can afford it definitely look into a full bi-xenon HID retrofit. I purchased a custom set from Tom @ HIDProjectors.com and they're fantastic. I also picked up a set of Inspired Engineering's cube LED fog lights and with those two paired together it gives off an insane amount of usable light on the road. I have some pretty dark roads where I live but now it's like the sun is shining down when I turn on all my lights.... and I'm not even done with my lighting setup yet.

Quick Reply: New LED Lights