Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New LED Dome Lights Blinking

Old 12-28-2013, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have interior LEDs in my '13 JKU. I noticed the map lights stayed on after doing the swap so I dealt with the dealership thinking it was a problem. Turns out after doing some searching on the forum that the map lights are tied in to the dome light circuit and stay on when a bulb burns out to identify the burnt out bulb. Because LEDs draw so little the circuit sees it as a burnt out bulb. I simply left the LEDs in the dome lights, removed the rear view mirror to disconnect the map lights inside (just unplugged the little connector to each light) and put the mirror back up. I personally found that the map lights were useless as they only aimed at the top of the dash.

Hope this helps
Brent
Old 12-30-2013, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

LED Dome lights seem to work correctly when the engine is on. This morning the lights came on when I unlocked and opened the door with no blinking. While I was driving I reached up and turned them on and to my surprise they did not blink. So I think it has to do something with the amount of juice going to the lights while the engine is on.

Thanks for the responses back.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

2011 2dr Rubi. I ordered LED dome lights. Didn't get them from PUTCO but, they are PUTCO LED's Put them in. Worked fine when I opened the door but, look like strobe lights when I turn them on for reading lights, one on or both doesn't make any difference. PUTCO sent me new ones. Same thing! Now they admit a problem and will send me better ones when they have it figured out. All I can ask for I guess. Wonder if just my 2011 or all JK's from 07-14?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Braska
2011 2dr Rubi. I ordered LED dome lights. Didn't get them from PUTCO but, they are PUTCO LED's Put them in. Worked fine when I opened the door but, look like strobe lights when I turn them on for reading lights, one on or both doesn't make any difference. PUTCO sent me new ones. Same thing! Now they admit a problem and will send me better ones when they have it figured out. All I can ask for I guess. Wonder if just my 2011 or all JK's from 07-14?
I had same problem. Did you try with engine on?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

I originally talked to NorthRidge about the LED's the along with others gave the following info.

I believe the issue would be the vehicles computer system trying to figure out the voltage of the new bulbs. In short, the computer reads the voltages coming from the bulbs and other equipment. When there is a change in volts, the the map lights have been known to stay on, flicker , etc. Have no fear there is a fix, which requires the use of CANBUS bulbs. The CANBUS allows the vehicle computer to think that the correct bulb is in place even though you are using LEDs. When I orginally asked if I need CANBUS for the front, the rears, or both I was told both to be safe. I purchased my LEDs' from Precision LED.

You will need the 44mm Festoon CANBUS LED for the rears. - Festoon 44mm Canbus - 4SMD 6000K
You will need the T/10 194's CANBUS for the front dome light - T10 Canbus - 5SMD LED

I purchased the above and have no issues in my 2013..

Hope this helps. If you order from Precision tell him you are from JK-forum. I am trying to get that guy to be a vendor on here. He didnt realize there were a lot of Jeep guys that wanted LEDs?

***- MODS*** Sorry if I wasn't suppose to direct link, just wanted to make it clearer for those interested.

Quick Reply: New LED Dome Lights Blinking