Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New laptop mount

Old 09-30-2007, 01:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patchules
I would like to mount the laptop upside down on the hardtop and use software to turn the image over. Then the screen would swing down. A cordless mouse and cordless compact keyboard. I can talk to my DeLorme mapping software so a ceiling mounted boom mike would do.
Out of the way, flip down the screen when needed. A small screen notebook pc would probably be best. Hmmmm.....
I've seen a Mac mini used for a computer in the car (or a jeep), with a 7 inch lcd screen (same ones used for DVD/nav systems) used as a monitor. both keyboard and mouse are wireless and the keyboard just tucks underneath the seats and mouse in glove box. google "jeepintosh" for an install in a grand cherokee.

Last edited by Tommy3rd; 09-30-2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a Lenovo (IBM) that is very small for a laptop. It only weighs about 3lbs, even with a larger battery. It would be perfect for this type of application. Its lighter weight would require less bracing and a less intrusive mount. Its narrower width would enable it to fit in a way that would at least reduce the air bag risk.

Honestly, the air bag is more of a risk driving to and from the areas you would want to explore. What are you going to do on the trail that will cause an
airbag deployment anyway?

Sony also makes a superlight and small Vaio.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

this is cool
but I would feel uncomfortable shifting with this stand in the middle
my GF serves as the stand during my trip
Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

VIA is producing a mainboard of the size of GAMEBOY, integrated with display card and all controllers.
mount a CF type microDrive, enclosed with a GAMEBOY box, a wireless keyboard, and a small 10" touch screen, and here you go

Originally Posted by dmwil
I have a Lenovo (IBM) that is very small for a laptop. It only weighs about 3lbs, even with a larger battery. It would be perfect for this type of application. Its lighter weight would require less bracing and a less intrusive mount. Its narrower width would enable it to fit in a way that would at least reduce the air bag risk.

Honestly, the air bag is more of a risk driving to and from the areas you would want to explore. What are you going to do on the trail that will cause an
airbag deployment anyway?

Sony also makes a superlight and small Vaio.

Quick Reply: New laptop mount