Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New laptop mount

Old 07-03-2007, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dsy....
I agree fully with your line of thinking.

Here is the story that got me going out there. It is interesting to me... as Moab was a spot on the map until Uranium was found at the Mi-Vida site by Charlie Steen. The main road that runs off of 191 is still named after him also as CR-114.. and that is the very road that runs right up along side the mine entrance.

story: http://www.4x4now.com/trutcm.htm

It is definitely interesting wheeling. I stopped and turned around due to a line of thunder storms inbound ... I got out to the good gravel just as the big drops began to fall. I was alone and didnt want to get too wicked. Personally, I'd love to get up there for 2-3 days with a tent, GPS, metal detector and camera. I'd love to... but I am not completely sure if that area is restricted to prevent camping.

If youre bored, you can look at it on Google Earth.

the coordinates of the road intersection should be....
38°12'7.03"N
109°22'29.62"W

Mine site...
38°11'25.10"N
109°15'35.63"W

....i forgot that the author attached maps of the area... i tried to print it, but it didnt work. I have Moab area maps. they are indespensible... but I'm sure you know that.

Last edited by b1pig; 07-03-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

while i was bored in my motel room ... with an internet connection... I spent some time researching Charlie Steen and the mining companies he was involved with. It was eye opening. Interesting. To each his own, though.

Wherever you end up, please send some pics and coordinates! I hope to be out there again in a year or two.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the laptop holder adjustable? so you could use any laptop.

What is holding the laptop Down? first major bump.... Oops

Maybee evn a velcro strap across just above the keyboard would kep it from flying out.

But I like the idea

BTW nice sunglass holder. Already installed and they won't slide around

just my 2 cents
Old 07-05-2007, 06:45 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CATCHONE
Is the laptop holder adjustable? so you could use any laptop.

What is holding the laptop Down? first major bump.... Oops

Maybee evn a velcro strap across just above the keyboard would kep it from flying out.

But I like the idea

BTW nice sunglass holder. Already installed and they won't slide around

just my 2 cents
No it is not adjustable. I built the stand first to use the four inner seat mount bolts, and then built the laptop rack around my laptop. Then welded the two together. The laptop does not move at all. I have two clips at the top of the screen supports and two of those velcro straps that go around the frame and the body of the laptop. I've put it through some pretty abusive test and I'm happy with the results.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

I was browseing the Ram Mounts website looking for a new mount for something else and stumbled across this. Specific for the Wrangle JK model even.

ram-mount.com/laptop_mount/ramvb170sw1_laptop_desk.htm

Last edited by Robar; 07-28-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Edited direct link.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 AM
gcg
JK Newbie

I wouldn't discount the air bag danger with this setup. It looks like a very nice job but if the airbag can hit it or the laptop, it could be lethal. I watched an episode of "Myth Busters" the other day where they were exploring some urban legends about air bags. They removed one from a vehicle, placed it in the middle of a parking lot and covered it with a large rubber traffic cone (probably weighed 10 lbs). They set the air bag device off remotely and it hurled the cone 25 or 30 feet into the air. They are basically an explosive device and appear to deliver a whole lot of energy. If it deployed and caught your laptop, 1 or 2 feet from your passengers face, it could be very ugly.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 AM
-

I am so getting that.

Edit:
it seems like it would get in the way of the tranny...unless you can swing it back and forth

another edit..it can swing away! lol...does any1 have this? how does it handle with the bumps and friction? < rattleing damage laptop>?

Last edited by Caboose; 07-29-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would like to mount the laptop upside down on the hardtop and use software to turn the image over. Then the screen would swing down. A cordless mouse and cordless compact keyboard. I can talk to my DeLorme mapping software so a ceiling mounted boom mike would do.
Out of the way, flip down the screen when needed. A small screen notebook pc would probably be best. Hmmmm.....
Old 07-29-2007, 03:20 PM
-

i like that idea! but its potentailly Dangerous and Illegal plus where would you put the mouse and keyboard?..not to mention batteries.. oh i hate batteries

Last edited by Caboose; 07-29-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:49 PM
gcg
JK Newbie

Another interesting possibility is to use one of the "Ultra Mobile PC" devices, like the Samsung Q1. These are quite small and don't fold open or shut since they don't really have a keyboard. They have a touch screen type interface and run full Windows so you can use all your mapping software, GPS interface, real time tracking, etc. And, at the end of the day, snap it out of the holder and you have a PC to take to the hotel room. Battery life is pretty good on these, too.

They're relatively expensive right now but are a whole lot easier to mount than a lap top, take up less space and provide nearly the same functionality. RAM makes mounting brackets for the original Q1 but the last time I checked they didn't yet have brackets for the new model (think it's called the Ultra).

Quick Reply: New laptop mount