Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New laptop mount

Old 06-28-2007, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also like to keep a laptop running on trips so I can use mapping software / GPS. So far I have just been sitting the laptop in the passenger seat. I have thought about ways of mounting it. I think the RAM mounts are the way to go. They indicate the current ones work for the JK (07). But they are not cheap at ~ $170.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:49 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deadspot
I also like to keep a laptop running on trips so I can use mapping software / GPS. So far I have just been sitting the laptop in the passenger seat. I have thought about ways of mounting it. I think the RAM mounts are the way to go. They indicate the current ones work for the JK (07). But they are not cheap at ~ $170.
I bought a ram mount last Dec. they claimed worked for the JK. It did not. They said they thought it would be the same as 06. The last I checked they only had a universal mount they said would work but it involved drilling the floor. What I put together only uses the existing seat mounting bolts, and slips in and out very easy.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsy
Well got tired of waiting for a laptop mount to come out so I can run some decent topo navigation software for poking around unknown parts, so I built my own. About $30. worth of steel and a good part of last Sunday. I pretty much built it up around me as I sat in the seat so it really is comfortable to use. It may look pretty hokey but it fits my needs just right. I'm having it power coated next week.

<<<snip>>>

playing in, loaded right on the pc as well as good garmin software for the blacktop parts.

... and I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do this. I use something similar to this: http://www.autolaptoplinkinc.com/1463775.html

Since my XK is an auto, so shifting is not a issue.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 PM
crd
JK Newbie

Try jeniko.com

They have laptop mounts of all types. I've used them in other vehicles. And no I'm not affiliated with them.

Chris

Last edited by doojer; 07-03-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Edited non-sponsor link-- please see faq
Old 06-29-2007, 02:58 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by crd
Try jeniko.com

They have laptop mounts of all types. I've used them in other vehicles. And no I'm not affiliated with them.

Chris
I looked at a bunch of the single pole type mounts but wasnt sure how they would hold up to off road use. I see the jeniko ones only use velcro to anchor the laptop. I made mine to stay put even in a roll over.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

most of the law enforcement (commercial) laptop mounts use a single post with a brace. They also tend to have 1 to 3 extentions that allow the mount to swing around. I can speak from experience... they arent very steady on road much less off road. They have to be braced against the dash, seat or center console. (or all 3)

The mount you made looks real solid. While it could be an airbag hazard, the fact that the JK does not offer a center seat position should limit the likely hood that it becomes a projectile.

About the exploring you plan.... ever been to the Mi-Vida mine site?
Its blocked off now... but the entrance to the mine shaft is very accessible at the end of a not-so-maintained gravel road. At the end of that are a couple of other mine shafts.

Another thing that comes to mind.
Shock would not be so much of a worry for me. Just typical vibrations would. You may consider using some small foam insullation or something on 4 or more points on the rack where the laptop rests on it. It should stop or limit the vibes that get to the laptop. I like the design, though.

Last edited by b1pig; 06-30-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:53 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by b1pig
About the exploring you plan.... ever been to the Mi-Vida mine site?
Its blocked off now... but the entrance to the mine shaft is very accessible at the end of a not-so-maintained gravel road. At the end of that are a couple of other mine shafts.

Terrain Navigator shows a Mount Vida Mine south of Moab, along with a bunch of others... Terrain navigator shows 3-D views (maptech.com/products/tours/index.cfm?TOUR_TYPE=tn&TOUR_PAGE=2&INC=NONE) of the land also and that area looks like it would be fun to poke around in. I think most of the places we check out will be a matter of picking what looks interesting on the maps as we travel around. The nice thing about a laptop with gps and good topo software is being able to see a large area in detail rather than just a 3" X 3" screen area. I've been doing the laptop navigating for years and its fun to go into a new area and be able to get around better than some locals.

Last edited by doojer; 07-03-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: edited non-sponsor link
Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Nice mount, looks like good craftsmanship. I don't know how else one could fit a laptop in a jeep, with a passenger. Passenger airbag might launch screen into driver's face, but who knows? Get out your video camera and a big sledge hammer and post the results...lol.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's cool. You could pull up behind someone, and act like you're typing something. They will think your an undercover cop!!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Sweet! That sure would make it easy to surf the net and drive at the same time.

Quick Reply: New laptop mount