Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New laptop mount

Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New laptop mount

Well got tired of waiting for a laptop mount to come out so I can run some decent topo navigation software for poking around unknown parts, so I built my own. About $30. worth of steel and a good part of last Sunday. I pretty much built it up around me as I sat in the seat so it really is comfortable to use. It may look pretty hokey but it fits my needs just right. I'm having it power coated next week.

Will have to see how the computer holds up. I just installed the same type hard drive as they are putting in the MyGig ([http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...s/ee25_series/ ). I was able to go 40 gig rather than the 20gig mygig has. The base is very sturdy and the laptop is held tight. The drive is supposed to withstand something like 5g's force. I hope it holds up ok. I have all the 7.5 min topo maps for the four states we will be playing in, loaded right on the pc as well as good garmin software for the blacktop parts.

Last edited by dsy; 07-01-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

2 questions?

How do you shift? and is the JK your work vehicle?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
2 questions?

Same two and if it is your work vehicle what do you do for work?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:06 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
2 questions?

As far as shifting, I think if someone needed to see the gear shift knob it would be a problem. comfort wise it works for me. At night its easy to forget its there. I built it all around how I sit and drive.

Not a work vehicle just for fun. Trying to get it ready for vacation in a few weeks. Wife and I are heading west to them parts unknown to explore around a little. I always ran my laptop and gps for navigation. I was bummed I could not use it in my Jeep.

Installation and removal takes about 5 min tops
Old 06-28-2007, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well if it works it works......
Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just checking if you looked at any law enforcement supply places for a mount?
Also for the safety of all riders, check with a dealer or service department to make sure it is out of the way of the airbag. Some airbags will throw items at a high velocity.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:47 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dkt2g12
Just checking if you looked at any law enforcement supply places for a mount?
Also for the safety of all riders, check with a dealer or service department to make sure it is out of the way of the airbag. Some airbags will throw items at a high velocity.
If the pass side airbag deployes it will take out the screen, if the screen is up.
I dont plan on having it opened all the time.

I checked all over to try and buy one. They make them for just about everything else.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

That looks really sharp. I need a mount for my Laptop. Ram has a universal that I've been looking at.

Ron
Old 06-28-2007, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad i'm not a passenger in this jeep -
Old 06-28-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks sharp. A great testimate to DIY for stuff that just works. It doesn't have to be mainstream or pretty, if it works for you it works period. I like it

I'd personally like to see something similar made, but that slides. Like that tuffy overhead console but with a track so you could slide the laptop behind you then pull it back forward when you need it...that way its just in the way of your windshield rearview mirror..and like you needed it anyway.

Quick Reply: New laptop mount