Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New iPod/iPhone issue

Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New iPod/iPhone issue

Ok .. a few weeks ago I bought pulled my radio, connected the iPhone wire and ran it to the glove box. Works great. However, sometimes music will be playing and suddenly the passenger side speakers stop working (they are actually playing very lowly - barely hear them). Driver side speakers are working fine. No wires are loose (i checked). If I unplug the iPhone and then plug back in, the problem sometimes goes away (ie, all speakers working). This happens with my daughter and son's iPhones as well. Almost like the radio randomly switches from Stereo to mono.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

BUMP

Really thought someone would have a suggestion .. this is a pretty informed group
Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

im not sure which radio you have but I have the 6 CD radio wit hthe U-connect module and then the iphone cable connected..

I ran into the same issue and it turns out that the rubber case on my iPOD was not letting the cable always plug in perfectly straight.. it seemed tight but sometimes my passenger speakers went low.. and if i plugged / unplugged the ipod all was good..

I played around a little more and evbentually got to where if I moved that connector around the problem would sometimes clear so I knew it was a loose wire..

removed the rubber case.. cut a bigger hole around where the cable goes through the case into the ipod.. and put the rubber case back on... no more issues..
-Christopher
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a similar issue, but I was using a 2 foot long iPod extension cable. Turns out one side of the cable had been poorly assembled.

Have a look at the pins on the connector in the glove box and ensure that they are not causing the problem.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Octo
I had a similar issue, but I was using a 2 foot long iPod extension cable. Turns out one side of the cable had been poorly assembled.

Have a look at the pins on the connector in the glove box and ensure that they are not causing the problem.
Just a long shot, but if you have NAV and have routing enabled, the voice giving directions will mute half the stereo. If the volume for that voice is set very low, you'll just get the mute on half the stereo and not hear the nav voice.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pcarpenter
Ok .. a few weeks ago I bought pulled my radio, connected the iPhone wire and ran it to the glove box. Works great. However, sometimes music will be playing and suddenly the passenger side speakers stop working (they are actually playing very lowly - barely hear them). Driver side speakers are working fine. No wires are loose (i checked). If I unplug the iPhone and then plug back in, the problem sometimes goes away (ie, all speakers working). This happens with my daughter and son's iPhones as well. Almost like the radio randomly switches from Stereo to mono.

Any suggestions?
Pulled your radio and connected the Iphone wire? I have a '10 model with aux in, but are you saying that there is an additional port on the rear of the factory nav radio?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New iPod/iPhone issue

If he has a mygig you can plug a cable in the back and use an ipod through its bottom connector.. the ipod is then controllable through the radio.

If you have res with sirius or req radios you can install u connect and connect an ipod and control with your radio..

The ipod will also charge too
Christopher
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
If he has a mygig you can plug a cable in the back and use an ipod through its bottom connector.. the ipod is then controllable through the radio.

If you have res with sirius or req radios you can install u connect and connect an ipod and control with your radio..

The ipod will also charge too
Christopher
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Christopher has it right. I have '09 MyGig. Cable (purchased separated) plugs into back of system and iPod/iPhone controls are available on the factory system. Just make sure you use the correct cable for your system. I don;t remember the # but a quick seach will bring up a discussion about it
Old 08-20-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
im not sure which radio you have but I have the 6 CD radio wit hthe U-connect module and then the iphone cable connected..

I ran into the same issue and it turns out that the rubber case on my iPOD was not letting the cable always plug in perfectly straight.. it seemed tight but sometimes my passenger speakers went low.. and if i plugged / unplugged the ipod all was good..

I played around a little more and evbentually got to where if I moved that connector around the problem would sometimes clear so I knew it was a loose wire..

removed the rubber case.. cut a bigger hole around where the cable goes through the case into the ipod.. and put the rubber case back on... no more issues..
-Christopher
This may be the issue as I have a case on the IPhone. Will remove and give it a shot. Will also take a look at the pins as suggested below as you can never take Chrysler quality as a given !

Quick Reply: New iPod/iPhone issue