Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Headunit for 2014 Unlimited

Old 06-28-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
The only problem I have with the aftermarket stuff is you will lose some of your Jeep features. None of the aftermarket wiring harnesses, as far as I can tell, will let you reuse your Uconnect microphone or satellite antenna. You have to install the ones that came with the new radio.

Plus, since they don't communicate on the can bus, you won't see the interaction with your EVIC. I have the basic radio (130) and even though it doesn't have navigation, it does what I need it to do. I can get a $100 garmin and get Nav.

Personally, I'd like to have a touchscreen radio, but it is not high on my priority list.
you sure pac-audio doesnt make an integration unit for the Uconnect ?

I used the FACTORY sat antenna w/ my pioneer set up (a simple $3 adapter was all that was needed).
PacAudio allowed me to retained all my steering wheel audio control.

my pioneer unit came w/ its own microphone (for hands free cell operation) - and when i use either the USB/wired or Bluethooth interfaces I get full integration of my cell phone w/ the head unit & speakers.

Phones being what they are these days I'm not sure why anyone would insist on having a NAV system in dash (they require updating/fees) and they can only be used in the vehicle theyre installed in (not portable / not removable).

My iPhone & Pioneer head unit are very well integrated - when i use ANY mapping software (on my phone) i get the turn by turn directions via the car audio system (if i want).

Because the (digial/wired) XM radio interface is SEPARATE from my head unit I am able to use the same XM tuner in THREE different vehicles (while only needing a single subscription)....i mean i only drive one car at a time anyway, why pay for extra subscriptions !

Last edited by bushpilot; 06-28-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bushpilot
you sure pac-audio doesnt make an integration unit for the Uconnect ? I used the FACTORY sat antenna w/ my pioneer set up (a simple $3 adapter was all that was needed). PacAudio allowed me to retained all my steering wheel audio control. my pioneer unit came w/ its own microphone (for hands free cell operation) - and when i use either the USB/wired or Bluethooth interfaces I get full integration of my cell phone w/ the head unit & speakers. Phones being what they are these days I'm not sure why anyone would insist on having a NAV system in dash (they require updating/fees) and they can only be used in the vehicle theyre installed in (not portable / not removable). My iPhone & Pioneer head unit are very well integrated - when i use ANY mapping software (on my phone) i get the directions "voiced" to me over the car audio system (if i want). Because the (digial/wired) XM radio interface is SEPARATE from my head unit I am able to use the same XM tuner in THREE different vehicles (while only needing a single subscription)....i mean i only drive one car at a time anyway, why pay for extra subscriptions !
Exactly why I believe aftermarket are always better.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Would you recommend a marine amp then?
a marine amp & speakers would be smart but not completely necessary.
generally the marine stuff is de-rated & priced higher.

I went w/ conventional speakers & head unit - the stuff is so cheap if i have to replace it i can....
not that i want to...but so far i have not had an issue or problem when I've been caught in the rain.

even my sub woofer didn't cost 90 bucks and the two speaker pairs were about 90 bucks per pair....
if you're willing to buy the stuff on line you can save a lot of money (I'm using MB Quart Speaker & Pioneer sub).

The Alpine PDX-v9 puts out a VERY CLEAN 100x4 & 500x1 watts (rms) - at 80 mph with my top down, I've got NO PROBLEM hearing the music !

I mounted my amp under the drivers seat & spaced it over an inch off the floor.....i don't go in deep water....so its good and dry. If you've got an unlimited your mounting location/options are better.

Last edited by bushpilot; 06-28-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you recommend a marine amp then?
Sure! What kind of boat is it going in? Lol.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Collyn
Sure! What kind of boat is it going in? Lol.
This is a jeep forum so obviously I mean in my jeep. Can you ever just give actual good advice.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a jeep forum so obviously I mean in my jeep. Can you ever just give actual good advice.
sure. Get a marine amp for a boat. Get a mobile audio amp for a Jeep. Unless you like the stainless screws and nickel played RCA jacks. If that's your thing, then get a marine amp. You think I'm just a smart ass, you're wrong. It doesn't matter if it's marine or not. Not much really matters on amps when they are wired correctly and tuned properly. I'd pay you $1000 cash if you could hear a difference between the two (marine or normal regular ol' amps)Or even hear the difference between a $600 amp and a $100 amp when they are played at the exact same levels. There really isn't much of a difference so why ask for a recommendation. Get whatever matches your cosmetics. Fits the space you have. Fits your budget. And makes enough power. If you want a marine amp...paint it white. As that is mostly the difference. That and they have been "marine use certified" so the insurance company can't deny a claim against them when your boat catches fire and sinks. Hah.

So. In a nutshell. The marine amps cost more since they are painted white to match most boats, are certified to withstand at least 3 months of high humidity(NOT DIRECT WATER CONTACT), and have stainless screws and hardware so it doesn't rust. If that's worth more money. Buy it. If you want a better amp for the same money, or the same amp (minus above) for less money, forget about marine. Get a regular amp and some white Krylon.

Just for grins.... Do you really think the Jeep radio is different than the one in a Chrysler 200? Haha. Do you think the Jeep radio is waterproof? It is no different than any other Chrysler radio of the same shape and size. And to think they have to warranty that radio in a leaking convertible off road vehicle for 3 years or 36,000 miles. And a marine amp is warrantied for 3 months.

If you still want a recommendation for a marine amp...get a JLAudio. It's not any different than the regular version, but that's not a bad thing. The regular version is a very well made amp.

Last edited by Collyn; 06-28-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Collyn
sure. Get a marine amp for a boat. Get a mobile audio amp for a Jeep. Unless you like the stainless screws and nickel played RCA jacks. If that's your thing, then get a marine amp. You think I'm just a smart ass. I'd pay you $1000 cash if you could hear a difference between the two. Or even hear the difference between a $600 amp and a $100 amp when they are played at the exact same levels. There really isn't much of a difference so why ask for a recommendation. Get whatever matches your cosmetics. Fits the space you have. Fits your budget. And makes enough power. If you want a marine amp...paint it white.
Alright perfect. I'll admit I should have been more clear. I asked about the marine amps because you mentioned the marine radios were not that much more protected. So I was wondering really if the sane was true for the amps so don't waste my time getting a marine amp. It actually makes me feel better since they are so expensive and now I can get one sooner. I'm really wanting a 5ch amp so I have one unit. Cosmetic is not a factor. Only reliability and durability. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Im a HUGE fan of JL Audio (slash series) - theyre powerful, CLEAN & stable across a wide (input) voltage range.
They make Marine "grade" amps too.

IN my wrangler i used the Alpine PDX-v9 (5 channel) - because of its size (smaller than JL Audio Slash's) and its as clean and powerful as the JL Audio stuff.

ALPINE, Like JL, make marine amps and BOTH brand amps have their boards entirely encased in epoxy....
all are priced higher & all are derated in output power than there none marine version.

as i said in my previous post - i spaced my amp off the floor more than an inch off the floor, unless I'm U-boating it (which i'll never do) my amp will stay dry - even w/ and inch of water in the floor.

the PDX-v9 retails for $750....but don't let that scare you....i bought mine for about $416 (amazon)

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Amplifiers - JL Audio
Old 06-28-2014, 08:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bushpilot
Im a HUGE fan of JL Audio (slash series) - theyre powerful, CLEAN & stable across a wide (input) voltage range. They make Marine "grade" amps too. IN my wrangler i used the Alpine PDX-v9 (5 channel) - because of its size (smaller than JL Audio Slash's) and its as clean and powerful as the JL Audio stuff. ALPINE, Like JL, make marine amps and BOTH brand amps have their boards entirely encased in epoxy.... all are priced higher & all are derated in output power than there none marine version. as i said in my previous post - i spaced my amp off the floor more than an inch off the floor, unless I'm U-boating it (which i'll never do) my amp will stay dry - even w/ and inch of water in the floor. the PDX-v9 retails for $750....but don't let that scare you....i bought mine for about $416 (amazon) Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. Amplifiers - JL Audio
Lol. I'm not looking to spend more than $250 for an amp. I'm not on a huge budget. I still need to upgrade the sub and my front speakers and the head unit.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

Lol. I'm not looking to spend more than $250 for an amp. I'm not on a huge budget. I still need to upgrade the sub and my front speakers and the head unit.
piece at a time my man - i didn't too mine all at once either.
better to SAVE up for good equipment that to buy it later.

Quick Reply: New Headunit for 2014 Unlimited