Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Headunit for 2014 Unlimited

Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Headunit for 2014 Unlimited

Hey Guys,
I have seen a couple post of people with aftermarket headunits and wanted some input on it. I have a new 2014 Sahara Polar edition unlimited and it has the basic stock radio in it. I am in no rush at all but in the future want to put a new radio in it. I dont need much but definitely want a touchscreen. I know about crutchfield and all that, I used it for my other cars but honestly I was thinking about about just getting the touchscreen that Jeep makes for the Rubicons and Sahara's? It has to be the one with navigation obivously but wanted your guys opinion on it. You think that would be a good thing to do or just look at other aftermarket headunits?

Like I said I am in no rush and am open to all suggustions. Thanks guys
Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Aftermarket all the way. For the price you will pay for a jeep unit with nav you could get amuch better aftermarket hu.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, that's what I was most likely going to do just wanted people's opinion on it.

Also if anyone has done an aftermarket touch screen can you tell me how it looks? And how hard in a jeep is it to install?

I assume it will not for in the hole of the stock radio and need to buy a new faceplate and all. So that my new question what needs to be purchased for it and how easy in Jeeps are they?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only problem I have with the aftermarket stuff is you will lose some of your Jeep features. None of the aftermarket wiring harnesses, as far as I can tell, will let you reuse your Uconnect microphone or satellite antenna. You have to install the ones that came with the new radio.

Plus, since they don't communicate on the can bus, you won't see the interaction with your EVIC. I have the basic radio (130) and even though it doesn't have navigation, it does what I need it to do. I can get a $100 garmin and get Nav.

Personally, I'd like to have a touchscreen radio, but it is not high on my priority list.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
The only problem I have with the aftermarket stuff is you will lose some of your Jeep features. None of the aftermarket wiring harnesses, as far as I can tell, will let you reuse your Uconnect microphone or satellite antenna. You have to install the ones that came with the new radio. Plus, since they don't communicate on the can bus, you won't see the interaction with your EVIC. I have the basic radio (130) and even though it doesn't have navigation, it does what I need it to do. I can get a $100 garmin and get Nav. Personally, I'd like to have a touchscreen radio, but it is not high on my priority list.
Yea but if you have just the regular radio you are losing nothing and gaining so much more especially better sound. The stock radios blow in about every way possible unless you have nav and all the good stuff. Even then the sound quality is garbage.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with both of you since I've had a stock radio in one of my cars and aftermarket. Personally I just like the touchscreen not saying it has to be aftermarket but even stock just like it. The aftermarket I agree might get better sound quality and some more options but like the other guy said I wouldn't have Uconnect and standard Bluetooth and all.

I'm in no rush I just bought it and am just seeing what I would like to do but is it even possible to put a Jeep touchscreen in there if I have a stock radio? And where could I purchase it?
Old 06-28-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by groth797
I agree with both of you since I've had a stock radio in one of my cars and aftermarket. Personally I just like the touchscreen not saying it has to be aftermarket but even stock just like it. The aftermarket I agree might get better sound quality and some more options but like the other guy said I wouldn't have Uconnect and standard Bluetooth and all. I'm in no rush I just bought it and am just seeing what I would like to do but is it even possible to put a Jeep touchscreen in there if I have a stock radio? And where could I purchase it?
Most new aftermarket (especially touchscreen) have their own Bluetooth. They operate basically the save depending on which unit you get. Sometimes better so your really losing nothing again and gaining more. The high prices people charge for the stock touch screen units can get you a way better aftermarket unit with many more features.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just my two cents, but my top is off alot, so I went with a marine grade Kenwood headunit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sroswat
Just my two cents, but my top is off alot, so I went with a marine grade Kenwood headunit. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USELESS! Unless you just want to have a boat radio. They are really only slightly more WATER RESISTANT than a regular HU. TRUST ME. get a good radio you like. And when it's gonna rain, put the top up(on).
Old 06-28-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Collyn
USELESS! Unless you just want to have a boat radio. They are really only slightly more WATER RESISTANT than a regular HU. TRUST ME. get a good radio you like. And when it's gonna rain, put the top up(on).
Would you recommend a marine amp then?

Quick Reply: New Headunit for 2014 Unlimited