Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Head Unit question??

Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Head Unit question??

I am trying to swap out my stock stereo for an aftermarket, something with a USB input and bluetooth. I was told when I went to pick up an installation kit that its not so simple. They said the computer monitors through the stock stereo and without this and that adapters (which weren't cheap) it would through codes. I am sure you guys can answer this for me. He wanted to charge me $250 in parts just so I can install my AVIC-D3 which I sold because I was worried it would get ripped out with the top and doors off. Please advise and if you have any specific setups that you would recommend.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

i see nobody has responded to your question, could you rewrite your message, its kind of confusing what your asking...

in one line you ask about installing your aftermarket stereo but then you say you sold your stereo

are you looking to install an aftermarket stereo or build on your factory head unit?

matthew
Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he's asking about what type of adapter harness he'll need for the chimes and such.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 08 JKU and did not need all that crap to install my aftermarket HU. I didn't have the Infinity system so it was as simple as getting the correct harness to plug in and connect to the new HU harness...I think it may have been $20 - $30, it's been a while so not to sure. Mine has BT/USB and all that crap. It was very easy, sounds like they are trying to scam you...
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

You need an extra harness to maintain the ability to control the stereo from the steering wheel yes?

For me that is a really nice feature

Matthew
Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry for any confusion. I originally wanted to install my AVIC but I was told it would cost me about $250 for all the harnesses and install kit which I thought was way too high. After more thought I decided I wouldn't want to spend that much just to see it stolen one day with my doors off because its a noticeable big screen. So I sold the AVIC. Now I just want to have a usb port and bluetooth so I am willing to put a crappy stereo in just to have these features so no one would want to steal it and if they did not a huge deal. I do not have controls on the steering wheel so it should be easier. To sum it up, I just want a crappy stereo that won't require me to plug in my phone to the stereo and charger everytime. (I have a droid). Thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

instead of making a new thread ill just ask in here.

putting an alpine deck into my base stereo JK.

already have the deck, dash kit, and wiring harness part numbers figured out.

but I'm stuck on the antenna. will i need an antenna adapter to connect it?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, i believe you do. Crutchfield provides it for free but if you just need a part number you can head over there and get it.

Quick Reply: New Head Unit question??