Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New head unit installed but now sounds like crap. PLEASE help.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New head unit installed but now sounds like crap. PLEASE help.

Ok I have a 2012 rubicon 2dr. with factory infinity system. I wanted a double din headunit so I got a JVC KW-AV60BT and all the correct harnesses for amp integration and steering wheel controls. The problem now is that if I turn it up very much at all it starts sounding very distorted. The only thing I can think of is the factory amp being the problem. So is there an easy way to bypass the factory amp and just run off of my aftermarket headunit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bc4850
Ok I have a 2012 rubicon 2dr. with factory infinity system. I wanted a double din headunit so I got a JVC KW-AV60BT and all the correct harnesses for amp integration and steering wheel controls. The problem now is that if I turn it up very much at all it starts sounding very distorted. The only thing I can think of is the factory amp being the problem. So is there an easy way to bypass the factory amp and just run off of my aftermarket headunit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
i would bypass it all and run all new speaker wire from the head unit directly to the speakers. or get a 4ch amp and run from the head unit to the amp to the speakers. and if you want to really get it down pat, get anther 1ch amp and swap the 8" sub for a kicker shallow sub and hook that up. but for starters, just run directly to the speakers and down the road get some better speakers so you can really enjoy good sound with your top off.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by notsoricer
i would bypass it all and run all new speaker wire from the head unit directly to the speakers. or get a 4ch amp and run from the head unit to the amp to the speakers. and if you want to really get it down pat, get anther 1ch amp and swap the 8" sub for a kicker shallow sub and hook that up. but for starters, just run directly to the speakers and down the road get some better speakers so you can really enjoy good sound with your top off.
is there not a way to just bypass the amp just under the dash instead of having to run new wires all through the jeep?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wiring 101.... Look at the diagram of the wiring harness. Follow the wire marked for the oem amp. Make sure it isn't wired into the head unit harness. You would have had to splice this to make it work. If you have spliced it. Cut the wire you spliced. Now you are running off of the head units amp. I have installed stereos for over 20 years. Trust me when I say this.... Never use oem equipment.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Maniacal
Wiring 101.... Look at the diagram of the wiring harness. Follow the wire marked for the oem amp. Make sure it isn't wired into the head unit harness. You would have had to splice this to make it work. If you have spliced it. Cut the wire you spliced. Now you are running off of the head units amp. I have installed stereos for over 20 years. Trust me when I say this.... Never use oem equipment.
do you have a wiring diagram?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

is there not a way to just bypass the amp just under the dash instead of having to run new wires all through the jeep?
yep, what this guy said. ^ That'll work too. I just prefer bypassing oem stuff and even junking it if necessary because every time you pass through a connection, amp, circuit, or anything that is not powered or shielded, you lose some quality sound. you might not notice it with the oem speakers though so go that route for the easiest way and if it doesn't work out then consider going further. everybody hears differently..
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

I bypassed my amp, clipped wires going to the amp and just ran speaker wire from that to the radios harness. Only about two feet of wire needed for each speaker. Be careful not to turn it up too loud though, the radio can't push the speakers with distortion for long or it'll blow a fuse. I recommend getting a 300 W or better 400 W 4 channel amp to run the speakers. Mine sounds great!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Crimsoncole
I bypassed my amp, clipped wires going to the amp and just ran speaker wire from that to the radios harness. Only about two feet of wire needed for each speaker. Be careful not to turn it up too loud though, the radio can't push the speakers with distortion for long or it'll blow a fuse. I recommend getting a 300 W or better 400 W 4 channel amp to run the speakers. Mine sounds great!
how do you know what wires go to what speaker and what is positive and negative?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how do you know what wires go to what speaker and what is positive and negative?
You definitely have to bypass that amp.
There is info around here somewhere with speaker wire colors. Forget where it is.
Get rid of the factory speakers and get yourself some good ones.
I just installed some 6.5 JL Audio components in the front and some JL Audio coaxials in the rear along with a Kenwood 7190HD head unit. Sounds about as good as a stereo can in a Jeep.

Quick Reply: New head unit installed but now sounds like crap. PLEASE help.