Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New alarm recomendations

Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New alarm recomendations

I want to add a shock sensor to the alarm system, but I have been told that the EVS is not that good. Is there an alarm I can add that will give me the shock sensor and maybe also a proximity sensor (not as important) that will work with the EVS “arm button” so I don’t have to activate both alarms using two buttons? It would be nice to keep the EVS in the loop and have an additional alarm with a shock sensor.

Model names and part numbers would be great. I’m ready to purchase and install.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know about adding a shock sensor, however I have the EVSII, and think it's a great alarm system for the $$$. Got it installed at the dealership for about $186.00 total cost.
Looking into how to set the sensivity as it is a bit sensitive. A loud motorcycle will sometimes set it off.
Went to Cabela's in Hamburg Pa. last Saturday, and spent about 6 hours there. Was pretty crowded so I had to park in the back 40 by the RV parking.
When I came out and hit the disarm, the horn sounded about three times indicating a tamper. Nothing looked out of the ordinary inside the vehicle. When I started it up, I got a Door Ajar alarm. Thought it may be the rear cargo area as I had just put a bunch of stuff in there. The cargo area door was closed. Checked all doors and found the rear passenger door was opened. Not just unlocked but unlatched and hanging open a bit. I know I had made sure all doors were closed and locked before I left. A guy that was sitting in an RV with his family came over and told me what had happened.
About 15 minutes before I had come out of Cabela's he saw a guy at the JK. He said the guy unzipped the rear soft top window and reached his hand inside, then re zipped the window. He thought the guy was the owner and had left his keys inside. At any rate he said the guy then oppened the rear pasenger door at which time the horn started blowing. The guy he said ran off into the lot and he lost track of him.
I checked the JK and nothing was missing, thank goodnes as I had a Garmen NUVI 350 in the center console which was unlocked.
When I got home I wanted to check how sensitive the alarm was.
I set the alarm and about 10 minutes later went back out and unlatched the drivers side hood release, at which time the horn blasted a few times in a slow single tone then stoped. I waited a bit then unlatched the other side. Again the horn blasted a few times then stoped. As I unlatched the front release the horn started blasting in slow single tones. As soon as I lifted the hood a bit, the horn began to blast quickly and continued.
I do have the underhood lamp, and that, most likely is what triggered the alarm on.
Pretty sensitive in my opinion.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at the EVSII but it's apparently not compatible with JKs that already have the factory remote start installed. I had to pick up something at Best Buy this morning, so I went over to the audio dept. to ask how much it would run me to install a 2way viper alarm with a hood trigger, shock sensor and perimeter alarm. The tech said that he doesn't recommend a perimeter alarm because I'll be back all the time to have them adjust itcan't I adjust the sensitivity on the control module myself...or perhaps me to stupid to turn dial
Then I remembered to mention that I have the factory remote start and he obviously wasn't sure if installing the alarm was a good idea anymore. He tried explaining how the alarm needs a +trigger and the remote start sends a - which will interfere with the alarm system causing it to go off every time I remote start the truck. In the great words of Riley Martin....HUN!

Quick Reply: New alarm recomendations