Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need some stock radio NON-MyGIG info

Old 10-01-2009, 04:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some stock radio NON-MyGIG info

My '08 has the basic single disk radio, and I've been eyeballing the other stock radios to possibly upgrade to. I don't want a MyGig due to usually listening to Sirius, carrying an iPhone with my music on it, and already having a portable GPS that I prefer to use.

I've mostly been looking at the 6-disk radios with a Sirius reciever built in. I currently use a portable Sirius reciever that I swap back and forth between the Jeep and my motorcycle, so I already have the antenna for that.

After doing some searching.......I think it would be in my best interest to find a radio out of a '09+ so it has the built in Uconnect. Then just pick up a Uconnect mic and I should be set? Can anyone confirm this or set me straight.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm ivory soap sure that the single and six disk radios do not ever have uconnect built in. You will need one of the unconnect adapters to enable the functionality on the system. It's a pretty simple install, but you will need the dealer to starscan to enable the feature. Unless of course you find someone that's got the whole setup to sell.

As I'm typing this it makes me wonder: would you be interested in a 6 month old RES with the uconnect module? It's '09 with sirius (though no antenna, I'll need that for the upgrade). It's not a 6 disk, but I thought I'd through it out there. It might give me the motivation to actually do an upgrade!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Possibly, but it would have to be DIRT cheap. Either way, I want to do some more research first.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Only the MyGigs have built in Uconnect, all the others require the module. If you're doing most of your listening to Sirius/iPod, You'd probably be best off to pick up with UConnect module and iPod cable. That way you can have bluetooth for your iPhone, as well as control it through the radio and charge it.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
Only the MyGigs have built in Uconnect, all the others require the module. If you're doing most of your listening to Sirius/iPod, You'd probably be best off to pick up with UConnect module and iPod cable. That way you can have bluetooth for your iPhone, as well as control it through the radio and charge it.
What 08RubiUnlimited said
Old 10-04-2009, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

good to know. Thanks guys
Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
Possibly, but it would have to be DIRT cheap. Either way, I want to do some more research first.
Understood. Let me know what your definition of dirt cheap is if you get to that point.

Quick Reply: Need some stock radio NON-MyGIG info