Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need Ideas for Rear Mounted Lights...

Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can maybe make a special mount for them on the bumper??? we can draw up some ideas when we install your headlights..

Originally Posted by Orangeav
Well, I have searched the Forum and I may have missed a specific thread for this, but found some pictures here and there that looked pretty good. Anyways, I'm looking to hook-up some rear facing lights to run off a switch, not the reverse lights. I want to have the option to use these for hooking up my trailer, work light, etc. I have a softtop only and a RR XHD rear bumper without the tire carrier. Please post some pics of what you have done for extra lighting behind your rig. Thanks!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Those would be gone the first ten minutes I was on the trail.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ludski
i saw these. and thought they were pretty sick.
hXXp://www.quadratec.com/products/12110_041X_PG.htm
That's an interesting concept, but I'm still running the the stock tire carrier.

I think you're right Jake, we'll have to fab something. I saw a Smittybilt Oversized tire carrier ww w.quadratec.com/products/22202_2001_07.htm that might be an idea for extending some mounting points from behind the spare. I don't want this carrier, just thinking the concept of extending the mounting points might be a starting point. I might just need to bite the bullet and get the swing-out tire carrier.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mrijeff
Those would be gone the first ten minutes I was on the trail.
Yeah, I just ran outside, and that spot is a major no-go for me. I thought it would be tucked in a little, but those would just be hanging there waiting to get bashed!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ludski
they arent as wide as the jeep. and dont stick out past the wheel. be kinda hard to hit
I thought he was referring to the lower bumper mount. I would think the ones you posted are a starting point for a custom fab job.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010jeeper
I like it but the only problem would be hitting the trails i would rip those off the first time i went over some rocks...
No biggy. Just another $15 at wally world.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could easily mount a VisionX 2" LED cube on top of each brakelight; they claim all sorts of numbers but the floods actually put out a good amount of light, maybe 600 lumens or so.

Or, mounted on the lollipop flanking the 3rd eye brakelight, a nice pair of Rigid Industries Dually floods --- or, better yet, Dually D2s. I like the Rigids better than the VisionX; they have more light and a better pattern.

Benefits of LED are obvious. Low power draw, long life, impervious to H2O, robust build that can take trail abuse, small size, low weight, etc.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Olympic just released a new rear bracket that mounts to the tailgate. i've seen a couple different pictures like the following:

The picture in quadratec's new catalog shows 2 lights mounted and two antennas so I don't know what the final configuration looks like. These would be great for camping trips.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKCobra
Olympic just released a new rear bracket that mounts to the tailgate. i've seen a couple different pictures like the following:

The picture in quadratec's new catalog shows 2 lights mounted and two antennas so I don't know what the final configuration looks like. These would be great for camping trips.
That's pretty neat.
Imagine that with some Duallies on it...
Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Orangeav
That's an interesting concept, but I'm still running the the stock tire carrier.

I think you're right Jake, we'll have to fab something. I saw a Smittybilt Oversized tire carrier ww w.quadratec.com/products/22202_2001_07.htm that might be an idea for extending some mounting points from behind the spare. I don't want this carrier, just thinking the concept of extending the mounting points might be a starting point. I might just need to bite the bullet and get the swing-out tire carrier.
That's what i have, the smittybilt tire carrier. then brackets were welded on for some lights.

Quick Reply: Need Ideas for Rear Mounted Lights...