Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need help with the factory subwoofer

Old 03-23-2011, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tritonman

You can drop a sub in there sure..but you are limited to the amount of depth the sub requires. You will need a shallow mount sub less than 4" iirc.

Im also pretty sure you will need a dual 4 ohm voice coil wired to a 2 ohm load. This is something you will need to get a definite answer on though.

I have read of people just replacing the sub and getting much better results than the factory sub, but to really do it right you will want to power the sub with an aftermarket amp.
I would not do this. You will have no audible change or it will be worse.
There are multiple problems with doing this. First the amp is way too week to power any reasonable sub wether it's the amps fault or the head unit is limiting power. You would be wasting money on a sub. Second the sub is a duel 2 ohm voice coil running to two separate amp. You could use a duel 2 ohm sub but be careful when wiring. Don't want to present a 1 ohm load to one amp.

Get an after market amp. Kicker zx200.2 can be had for under 100. It will run 200 watts RMS bridged at 4 ohms. It will power factor sub with ease. When she blows stuff another 4 ohm 8 In factory box and rock out.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks! I'll take a look into the tailgate mounted boxes. My original idea was mounting a box in the wall between the back seat and the rear tire well, if I could find one. It would be out of the way and use a space seldom needed.
The original plan included using the tailgate to mount an accessory storage bin for recovery gear, etc.

However, both options are better than having the original bass box taking a lot of space for nothing. That monstrosity will go away for sure.

I may even try to make a sound box myself. Just bought the Jeep and already have a quickly growing list of projects. :-)
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have a hardtop, there is a nice relocation write-up that moved the factory sub up onto the hardtop flange- try a search, you could do it temporarily until you find the "perfect" solution..It got it out of the way.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tritonman
You can drop a sub in there sure..but you are limited to the amount of depth the sub requires. You will need a shallow mount sub less than 4" iirc.

Im also pretty sure you will need a dual 4 ohm voice coil wired to a 2 ohm load. This is something you will need to get a definite answer on though.

I have read of people just replacing the sub and getting much better results than the factory sub, but to really do it right you will want to power the sub with an aftermarket amp.
Thanks for the help!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
If you have a hardtop, there is a nice relocation write-up that moved the factory sub up onto the hardtop flange- try a search, you could do it temporarily until you find the "perfect" solution..It got it out of the way.
Thanks! That's something I could live with. :-)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
My JKU came with that Infinity subwoofer box in the trunk and I cannot say I am happy with it. Takes a lot of space for a mediocre bass quality.
I want to either move it from the original location right behind the tailgate (where it just stays on the way) or replace it altogether.

Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
did you remove it?? I was considering the same thing. I am adding my own small subwoofer soon . I am going to look into buying a panel from jeep and taking the infinity out
Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

No time yet. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to do at least a few of my projects already lined-up. One of them is moving the sub-woofer and maybe running to the car shop for an amp. ;-)
If I do I'll post photos.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
JK Newbie

I can't speak to the sound quality issues, but reclaiming the cargo space is pretty easy to do. Just search for "subwoofer relocation" and there are a couple of posts that talk about how to move it to the top of the wheel well just above the factory location. It's a little more work than they make it sound like, but well worth it (had to fabricate a bracket out of a corner brace, remove plastic wheel well liner, drill some holes, cut the carpet, etc.). I did this when I replaced my OEM fender flares last month. I bought some stainless 1/4 20 carriage bolts, nuts & washers and a 5" corner brace from Home Depot and moved mine without too much issue. Let me know if you need any more info or pics of how I did mine.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default sound quality...

I'm not as concerned with the sound quality as I am the bit of wasted space, I was actually thinking about relocating mine under the passenger seat.

Quick Reply: Need help with the factory subwoofer