Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need help with the factory subwoofer

Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with the factory subwoofer

My JKU came with that Infinity subwoofer box in the trunk and I cannot say I am happy with it. Takes a lot of space for a mediocre bass quality.
I want to either move it from the original location right behind the tailgate (where it just stays on the way) or replace it altogether.

Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
My JKU came with that Infinity subwoofer box in the trunk and I cannot say I am happy with it. Takes a lot of space for a mediocre bass quality.
I want to either move it from the original location right behind the tailgate (where it just stays on the way) or replace it altogether.

Thanks in advance!
X2 I need help too. Factory sub seems kinda flaky...
Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I remember reading in another thread that some subwoofers came with the wiring polarity incorrectly reversed from the factory. You may want to try that and see I there's any improvement.

In my case, I am looking for alternatives to that huge box itself, which takes more trunk "real estate" than it is worth. Will probably have to stop by a sound car shop and check what is available.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

reverse polarity bs..... i tried it dont workk
Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks in advance!
If you have the Infinity factory sub with the enclosure in the back you have a couple options.

1) Buy an aftermarket 8" sub and take out the factory sub and replace it then attach an aftermarket amp to it which is quite simple. Quite a few people have done this and like the results. This of course depends on how much bass you are really looking for. A drop in sub and an amp really bring the bass alive.

2) Buy a new sub box and an amp and remove the Infinity completely. A lot of people have done various sub mount and box locations.

You can tap of existing wires to create a low level connection to your amp and then just mount sub/amp somewhere.

I personally have replaced the factory sub with an aftermarket sub and amp but it just wasnt quite enough bass for me at higher volumes. Now, i have purchased a truck box and a shallow mount 12" sub which will be mounted to my tailgate so i can get some more bass than the 8" provided and keep a somewhat stealth install. Dont get me wrong the 8" really did make a huge difference to the factory 8" by leaps and bounds especially adding an aftermarket amp, but it just wasnt enough for my particular taste.

Now if you have the Infinity Basslink and you arent happy then its on to an actual sub box with an aftermarket amp and probably a larger driver.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I remember reading in another thread that some subwoofers came with the wiring polarity incorrectly reversed from the factory. You may want to try that and see I there's any improvement.

In my case, I am looking for alternatives to that huge box itself, which takes more trunk "real estate" than it is worth. Will probably have to stop by a sound car shop and check what is available.
Ive found that a nice slim truck style box with a shallow mount 10 or 12 attached to the tailgate will give you all the interior space you need without sacrifice. I was able to find a box and a shallow mount sub for under $200.

Here is a nice tailgate mount enclosure which you should be able to find cheaper somewhere else too.

http://***.crutchfield.com/p_777BB12...er.html?tp=127
Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yank that whole infinity system out and just replace it you will have more options for one and two it will sound so much better
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by REDLINE217
Yank that whole infinity system out and just replace it you will have more options for one and two it will sound so much better
What he said! Thats what i ended up doing...complete redo from front to back.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed the tuffy security deck for my '11 which seals off the entire trunk at tailgate height. it made a huge difference but is still not what I want. Can you drop any old 8" sub in there? I thought infiniti was like bose in that you can't replace them because of the integrated amp?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spartan
I just installed the tuffy security deck for my '11 which seals off the entire trunk at tailgate height. it made a huge difference but is still not what I want. Can you drop any old 8" sub in there? I thought infiniti was like bose in that you can't replace them because of the integrated amp?
You can drop a sub in there sure..but you are limited to the amount of depth the sub requires. You will need a shallow mount sub less than 4" iirc.

Im also pretty sure you will need a dual 4 ohm voice coil wired to a 2 ohm load. This is something you will need to get a definite answer on though.

I have read of people just replacing the sub and getting much better results than the factory sub, but to really do it right you will want to power the sub with an aftermarket amp.

Quick Reply: Need help with the factory subwoofer