Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need help with the door locks

Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with the door locks

My 07 Sahara's door locks are going nuts.

Sometime ago the driver door stopped unlocking at the first press on the remote. Meaning that all doors would unlock at the same time instead of the driver unlocking on first remote press and all others at the second remote press.

I did not care much about it since it did not make much of a difference.

However, all of a sudden the driver door is no longer unlocking electrically. I have to use the key to unlock it. All other doors unlock normally.

However, all doors lock either using the remote or automatically when I start driving my Jeep. So, they are still behaving normally as far as the locking expected behavior.

Any hints on what could be happening? Poltergeists?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about on a JK but we had a 2 VW Jetta that would start off with the same symptoms you are having just before the door lock actuators would die. I would start off by checking your wiring to the actuator in the drivers door. Once I traced this problem to the wires coming just lose enough to not make complete contact with lock assembly.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks! I looked around today and did not see anything loose.

Could be the software?

A while back my Jeep stopped locking the doors automatically when I started driving it. A forum member posted a sequence of stuff to do that made it work again.

Wondering if there's another sequence for the unlocking part.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 PM
JK Super Freak

The driver door is working again, by itself.

Still not doing the two-stage opening thing (first remote press open only driver, second opens the other three doors).

Could not find any loose connection.

A new weird behavior is sometimes the four doors automatically unlocking when I turn the engine off.

Gremlins?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
My 07 Sahara's door locks are going nuts. Sometime ago the driver door stopped unlocking at the first press on the remote. Meaning that all doors would unlock at the same time instead of the driver unlocking on first remote press and all others at the second remote press. I did not care much about it since it did not make much of a difference. However, all of a sudden the driver door is no longer unlocking electrically. I have to use the key to unlock it. All other doors unlock normally. However, all doors lock either using the remote or automatically when I start driving my Jeep. So, they are still behaving normally as far as the locking expected behavior. Any hints on what could be happening? Poltergeists? Thanks in advance!
This may sound stupid but I had the same issue in my 08. A week later the rear indicator stopped working, replaced the bulb and it never happened again. Weird freaky shit!
Old 04-03-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bevan7170
This may sound stupid but I had the same issue in my 08. A week later the rear indicator stopped working, replaced the bulb and it never happened again. Weird freaky shit!
My remote start stopped working as well as traction control. Dealer said something was wrong with the rear indicator also. Un related but every now and then when I turn on my left blinker the windshield wipers make a single pass.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks! I'll check it out. I changed the two indicator incandescent bulbs by LEDs and at the time the only difference was they blinking faster but nothing else changed. This was a couple months ago.

I'll put the incandescent back and see what happens. Weird stuff indeed.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Thanks! I'll check it out. I changed the two indicator incandescent bulbs by LEDs and at the time the only difference was they blinking faster but nothing else changed. This was a couple months ago.

I'll put the incandescent back and see what happens. Weird stuff indeed.

Just to give an update. The driver door's electric lock is working again. Somehow it was affected by the position/blink LED bulb. I swapped the incandescents back and after a couple miles drive things started working again.

At least partially. The part where the driver door unlocks first is still not working. All doors unlock at the same time.

I'll probably take my Jeep to the dealer and ask them the reflash the computer.

Thanks for the inputs!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

What ended up happening? I had this issue of locking while driving. So I unplugged the passenger door and it's not doing it. Should I swap the wire harness or just the lock button. I noticed this because my defrost mirror wouldn't work at times for that door. Sounds like a short...

Quick Reply: Need help with the door locks