Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need Help Deciding on Lighting

Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Deciding on Lighting

Sorry but I am new to the lighting area of things. I am looking to add some lights to my 12 JKUR. Here are the two options I think I have narrowed it down to:

Option 1:
1 set of KC Apollo Pro Fogs on the Bumper
1 Set of KC Apollo Pro Long Range on the Windshield

Option 2:
2 Sets of Rigid Dually's (1 Flood/1 Spot)
Both mounted on the a pillar using the Rigid dual A Pillar Mount

Now I see Dually's mounted on the windshield fairly option but I hardly ever see the dual a pillar mount. Why is that? Too much noise? Also with that set up I was going to put the flood's on the bottom and the spots on the top....is this going to reflect off the hood too much (my JK is black)?

Where have you guys been mounting the switches for lights? Are the switches that come with these light good enough to do the job or do you recommend something else?

Any pics would be awesome
Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suggest against putting the floods on the A-pillar. I had a set there before and the glare was really annoying.

To compare to the lightbar on the roof, it lights up the entire hood and area and the glare is not as distracting, the a pillar floods lit up two large ovals on the hood but the rest of it was dark which is what made it very distracting to me.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As for switches, go for the sPOD. It's upfront cost is offset by easy install, no worries about codes popping up, and clean factory look.

I have both rigid D2s in frt bumper and KC pro gravity LEDs on my rack. Rigid def a great LED light but not sure it's worth the $$$ (2Xs price of KCs). I chose rigids for frt bumper cuz they r most freq used lites .... So guess it depends how often you plan to wheel at nite and how much you use them if it's worth the Xtra $$$$.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alternatively, you can build your own fuse/relay box. Only place mine even touches OEM wiring is the positive post of the battery terminal, and the empty fuse spot in the fuse box to grab an ignition on source. So no codes popping up either and looks pretty dam good if I'd say so myself lol.

For the switches, I'd recommend OTRATTW switches, James is an awesome guy and can make you anything or you can buy right from the online store.

The switches that come with the light will work for the application in the sense that it is rated for the load. Depending how picky you are about your interior, making it look nice and OEM is another challenge.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I really want to do a SPOD but money just isn't going to allow that type of investment right now. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 01-14-2015, 03:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Alternatively, you can build your own fuse/relay box. Only place mine even touches OEM wiring is the positive post of the battery terminal, and the empty fuse spot in the fuse box to grab an ignition on source. So no codes popping up either and looks pretty dam good if I'd say so myself lol. For the switches, I'd recommend OTRATTW switches, James is an awesome guy and can make you anything or you can buy right from the online store. The switches that come with the light will work for the application in the sense that it is rated for the load. Depending how picky you are about your interior, making it look nice and OEM is another challenge.

Mine looks like crap but I did my own wiring.

The spod really is amazing for people who aren't anal(me) or people who don't understand electrical. It's clean and can let people easily add lights.

It's pretty easy also just adding a 5$ relay and an inline fuse or two with a Switch and it does exactly what the spod does, just not as pretty.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you guys have a link for a DIY to a spod like system? I would love to look into doing it myself
Old 01-14-2015, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2010jeepJK
Do you guys have a link for a DIY to a spod like system? I would love to look into doing it myself
This is the thread I built my aux fuse block off of. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ck-box-107258/
Old 01-15-2015, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went to Oznium.com for switches. I don't have AC so the best spot was between the vents. Wiring was easy. I kinda went overboard but everything is powered properly and protected. As far as location. I use spots on the bumper, fogs on the windshield and a 10" combo on the bull bar. Just make sure to use a heavy gauge wire. I started with a light gauge and could see the difference in power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-825824006.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	592115   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2226685279.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	592116   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-618808553.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	592117   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3725250532.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	592118  
Old 01-15-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Don't get hung up on big name brand lights. There are lots of lighting companies and options out there. Once I decided to do lights I started looking at all my options and there are a lot. Also keep in mind you get what you paid for! That being said I went with extremeledlightbars.com. They were a fraction of the cost and offer a lifetime limited warranty on the lights they sale. I ran my own wiring and made it clean with the wires under the hood zip tied and in wire loom. I went with the 5" light pods on the A-pillar (7,400 lumens each) and a 22" light bar on the front bumper. Whether it's right or wrong to some people it works for me and I am nothing but pleased and get questions / compliments all the time. I also choose the Smittybilt low rise mounts for a lower profile and I have zero wind nose from the lights...........my .02 cents.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-23 14.27.58.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	592123   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-23 14.27.11.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	592124   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-18 16.01.36.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	592125  

Last edited by find221; 01-15-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help Deciding on Lighting