Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need help with 3rd brake light

Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 3rd brake light

I have a 2013 JKUR.

I need help figuring out the routing of the third brake light. I removed (cut it off) the stock one that sticks up in the rear window. I installed an LED light in the hardtop and routed wires to the left rear corner where the rear window wiper wiring and hose are routed. I have a disconnect there and another pair of wires going into the well behind the left taillight. What I can't figure out is where the stock wires for this light are before they appear at the hinge side of the tailgate. It seems that they go behind the speaker cabinet which I can't figure out how to remove. Where do they go from there? If I could intercept this pair of wires (black wire and white with black trace) I could connect a new pair and route the new pair to the left corner.

Does anyone have any idea where these wires originate? Or where they are routed so that I can cut and splice new wires to them?

The light I bought has one pair of wires. I know there are split lights that can be connected to each tail-light but I didn't want a light that big. And, I have the new LED installed. I wired it up to the left brake-light and it works fine except that it blinks with that side's turn signal. I thought there were separate brake-light and turn signal bulbs. My bad for not checking first.

Last edited by Kent Gratteau; 02-12-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

I may be wrong but I think those wires double back and run right under the top lip of the tub, if you pull the carpet a little you should see them. Passenger side.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The wires come from the hinged side. Just follow the wires back from the casing that feeds the tailgate.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help. Real easy once I knew where to look. Because I have the sub-wolfer in the back the wires I was trying to trace "disappeared". I pulled carpet back and found harness, located the right wires and soldered in splices. Ran new wires under rear seats carpet and then followed driver's side harness to rear corner. Worked perfectly once I had it correct. Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kent Gratteau
I have a 2013 JKUR. I need help figuring out the routing of the third brake light. I removed (cut it off) the stock one that sticks up in the rear window. I installed an LED light in the hardtop and routed wires to the left rear corner where the rear window wiper wiring and hose are routed. I have a disconnect there and another pair of wires going into the well behind the left taillight. What I can't figure out is where the stock wires for this light are before they appear at the hinge side of the tailgate. It seems that they go behind the speaker cabinet which I can't figure out how to remove. Where do they go from there? If I could intercept this pair of wires (black wire and white with black trace) I could connect a new pair and route the new pair to the left corner. Does anyone have any idea where these wires originate? Or where they are routed so that I can cut and splice new wires to them? The light I bought has one pair of wires. I know there are split lights that can be connected to each tail-light but I didn't want a light that big. And, I have the new LED installed. I wired it up to the left brake-light and it works fine except that it blinks with that side's turn signal. I thought there were separate brake-light and turn signal bulbs. My bad for not checking first.
Can you post pic of the new brake light? Sounds cool.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
Can you post pic of the new brake light? Sounds cool.
There's not much to it and this isn't a "build" post.

I bought the LED strip on the internet. Can't remember just where but I think it was about $10. It is flush mount and the only drilling needed was a hole for the wires that exit from the back (about 3/8", I think). I gooped up the hole with silicone. A couple more holes for the mounting screws also gooped up good to prevent leaks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6000.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	637676

The hardtop is hollow. I popped the cover off where the rear window wiper harness and the washer fluid go into the roof. I used a fish tape or coat hanger wire to fish the wire through the hollow roof, past the access hole for the washer/wiper (it makes an easy place to pull wire). I put a two-conductor connection/disconnect on the wire after it was pulled through.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6001.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	4.49 MB
ID:	637678

I had removed the spare tire hanger from the tailgate and hacksawed the upright that supported the original brake light above the tire. After grinding that smooth enough I painted black rattle-can on it. I removed the original brake light wire (though it is not necessary to do this) and started tracing the two wires back until I got to the sub-wolfer and had to stop. You can just leave those wires and connector in place if you want.

After getting the info about where the harnesses are inside the Jeep (I didn't know where they were and expected that they went down the driver's side and crossed over somewhere) I pulled the carpet loose on the right side and found it. I opened the harness near the rear seat and threshold, found the right wires (a white wire with two black tracers, and a black one) and used a razor blade to cut insulation away for about 1/2" without cutting the wires. Actually there are two black (ground) wires in the harness and either one will work. I didn't cut them because I didn't know what else might be using the ground wires. I wrapped light-weight speaker wire (18 AWG) on each exposed section of the wires and soldered the connections. I taped them up good, taped the harness again, and ran the new leads under the carpet under the rear seats to the driver's side. Here I followed the harness on this side back to the rear corner, used the original opening (for the wiper/washer) and installed a connector to mate with the one going up to the LED. This way the top can be removed just like normal. I don't have a soft top so don't plan to do that anytime soon.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good!

Quick Reply: Need help with 3rd brake light