Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need an expert on the Uconnect130 and Android

Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an expert on the Uconnect130 and Android

Did a search without a satisfactory answer. I have a 2013 with the Uconnect and the base 130 radio/premium sound and an Android phone. I have some questions that can't be found in the manual or at the dealer. I paired the phone up with no problem and the the phone aspect functions flawless.

1. When I use navigation on the phone, the only way I can hear the turn by turn directions is if I push the disc/aux button to bluetooth, It won't override the radio or CD. Is that normal? If it is then that sucks that I can't listen to music while I use the nav. (unless the music is coming from the phone)

2. What good does the USB port in the console do me other than to charge my phone? I know it is more functional for the 430 and 730 but I don't have that.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

I used the USB to transfer MP3s to the HDD
Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by neald
Did a search without a satisfactory answer. I have a 2013 with the Uconnect and the base 130 radio/premium sound and an Android phone. I have some questions that can't be found in the manual or at the dealer. I paired the phone up with no problem and the the phone aspect functions flawless.

1. When I use navigation on the phone, the only way I can hear the turn by turn directions is if I push the disc/aux button to bluetooth, It won't override the radio or CD. Is that normal? If it is then that sucks that I can't listen to music while I use the nav. (unless the music is coming from the phone)

2. What good does the USB port in the console do me other than to charge my phone? I know it is more functional for the 430 and 730 but I don't have that.

Thanks in advance
1. I've never used my phone to hear navigation through my Jeep, but it sounds logical that the only way to hear it through your speakers is if it's on bluetooth. How else is it supposed to transmit the signal.

2. I have an iPod hooked up to my USB port. Works nice as you can select everything directly through the radio.

Originally Posted by FireMedic4
I used the USB to transfer MP3s to the HDD
He doesn't have the HDD.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1) You want to be angry at Uconnect but you shouldn't be. First you need to understand how it works. The phone ONLY broadcasts the turn by turn information thru the Bluetooth path. That path is only streamed thru the radio when you have selected that mode. Just like you can't play FM radio while listening to AM or the CD. It's not the systems issue, in fact, it's not really an issue (as in a defect).
2) The remote mounted USB port (on the 130, 430 & 730 etc) is able to charge and play audio from Apple devices thru the radio. Now up till about a year ago, this was also true for Android phones. However the problem that the newer Androids brought to the table is that they have internal music folders as well as the external SD card. Uconnect as well as other vehicle BT carkits on the market can't scan thru the phone to figure out where the music is located (in which folder). If you look at the options on the phone when you plug in the USB cable, you'll notice that the phone doesn't give you an option to play the audio thru the phone. The options are for docking to the computer or "charge".
3) Which phone do you have?

Originally Posted by neald

Thanks in advance
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha ha time to get an iPhone !!!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

3) Which phone do you have?

Droid Razr M

Quick Reply: Need an expert on the Uconnect130 and Android