Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need Aux Driving Lights Wiring Help!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Aux Driving Lights Wiring Help!

So I installed some Warn SD 260s and ran the wiring harness under the hood and then ran the on/off/dual mode switch in the cab. Only one mode of the high/low is working and when the lights were off they drained the battery. Here is a diagram of how it is hooked up. What am I doing wrong here? Obviously I am no electrician!

Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CommanderJB
So I installed some Warn SD 260s and ran the wiring harness under the hood and then ran the on/off/dual mode switch in the cab. Only one mode of the high/low is working and when the lights were off they drained the battery. Here is a diagram of how it is hooked up. What am I doing wrong here? Obviously I am no electrician!

off the top yellow jumper needs to be separate .the switch wiring doesn't look wright ....I saw a real good diagram I think happycurmudgeon posted it..? you did hi lo the relays have to be separate , your switch circuit looks to be your truble spot.. I look for the post,
Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

found it, not exactly what you need just remember you have 2 separate circuits , look on page #13 title [ off road lights wiring questions] sorry I'm not good on the computer so you have to look for it...
Old 03-20-2010, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I copied this several months ago (not sure from where). If you are running trigger wires to your relays, from your stock headlight wiring harness/circuit, you will have problems because the stock headlight power is pulse width modulated and will cause your relay(s) to flicker and drop out, that's where the added capacitors and diodes, in the diagram below, will effectively bypass the JK's canbus/computer system.

Using the diagram below, you will have one relay wired(from relay terminal 87) to each one of your aux light's low beam terminal and one relay wired (from relay terminal 87) to each aux light's high beam terminal. Terminal 86, on the low-beam relay, will connect to one of your original headlight's low beam terminal. And, terminal 86, on the high-beam relay, will connect to one of your original headlight's high beam terminal.

I think that, in your note 2 & 3 above, where it indicates you're wiring directly to your negative battery post, is causing at least part of the problem. Pin 85, on each relay, should connect at the neutral terminal on one of your original headlight's. Also, when you ground a wire, as for a switch, do not ground it directly to the negative post on the battery- ground that wire to a metal, unpainted location (look under the hood, or even inside, & see where other wires are grounded to the body & use one of those, or a similar location).

See the bulb pin diagram at the bottom for your H4 bulb pin locations.

Last edited by motorvated; 03-21-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Here's one method

I found one mod; here's the link. Hope it helps some. Most light mods are to make higher power lamps operate from the factory steering stalk. You are wiring in a separate switch; so I'll continue to look for the appropriate diag.

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/FogMod.pdf

Quick Reply: Need Aux Driving Lights Wiring Help!