Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

National Forest Road and Trail MVUM Maps for Android

Old 05-26-2016, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great app! Previously organizing mvums was extremely involved. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2016, 02:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by stevewix
Great app! Previously organizing mvums was extremely involved. Thank you!
No, thank you! Believe me, I am all to familiar with how painful it used to be ;-) I have some big plans to improve the coverage (keep an eye out in the next few weeks) and make the map even more usable with as many devices (handheld gps, Windows Phone, desktop computers, etc)as possible (probably in the next few months). Lots of other big ideas as well! Thanks again for all the support!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:47 PM
JK Newbie

ORA, great looking app I'm excited to start using it. I gave you a plug to our 4x4 Search and Rescue members out of Seattle as I'm forever trying to figure out where the peaks, lakes and trailheads our callouts are and this content looks to be a lot more relevant than the overly busy Topo and other Nav products.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:06 PM
JK Newbie

I just started playing with the app and in the downloadable feature I don't see Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest maps... Are those accessible?
Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-SAR
ORA, great looking app I'm excited to start using it. I gave you a plug to our 4x4 Search and Rescue members out of Seattle as I'm forever trying to figure out where the peaks, lakes and trailheads our callouts are and this content looks to be a lot more relevant than the overly busy Topo and other Nav products.
I am very excited to see your team using it! Hopefully I can keep some of the users from getting lost in the first place too. Unfortunately I am limited by the data I am able to get from the forest service. However, I do hope to have a major update to the map out in the next 1-2 weeks. It will have many new things but hopefully not walk the line too close to being overly busy.

Right now I would say I have 'poor' coverage of Mt. Baker. I have highways/interstates and what I label as "Historic roads for reference." Those will match most of what is on the MVUMs, but will also have many that are not. Some of those are legal, some are private, some are admin only, etc. I have data from the forest service that they are roads that exist, but not whether they are open etc.

With my coming update I will have what I would consider 'moderate' coverage of Mt. Baker (and many other new areas). I have new MVUM data (though it isn't really new areas, just minor updates), but the big thing for Mt. Baker (and many others) is essentially more information on many of the "Historic roads for reference." I now have data on, paved vs unmaintained, open for public use vs admin only and a few other things for many of those historic roads.

A sneak peek, the screenshots are a work in progress and very subject to change, but they will likely be pretty close to the final product. In the future I may offer the map with or without the background as well as a few other options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new-map-beta-screenshot2.png
Views:	51
Size:	644.6 KB
ID:	648687Click image for larger version

Name:	new-map-beta-screenshot.png
Views:	52
Size:	514.5 KB
ID:	648688

Quick Reply: National Forest Road and Trail MVUM Maps for Android