Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

National Forest Road and Trail MVUM Maps for Android

Old 05-06-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by mk1jeep
... It should work in landscape mode. If you would PM what model of phone and version of Android you are using - that would help me tremendously in trying to diagnose why it isn't working for you.
Disregard, it does work in landscape. Phone is Nexus 5X running latest version of Android.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Coming for apple?
I've been busy ;-)

iPhone? Official MFUM PDFs offline? New interface? Keeps track of bulk downloads and updates? WOW! Yep we’ve got lots of good news for everyone! iPhone and iPad user’s make sure to download OFFROAD ATLAS on the App Store. Android user’s make sure to update to the latest version or get the app on the Google Play Store. Offline PDFs work with free apps such as Adobe Acrobat Reader and Avenza PDF Maps (some of the PDFs will even show your location on them in apps such as Avenza). Don’t worry we’ll have more updates, more map coverage, more features, more of EVERYTHING coming in the future. Make sure to LIKE our page to get any updates FIRST!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/offr...1419?ls=1&mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...c.offroadatlas
https://offroadatlas.org/
https://www.facebook.com/Offroadatlas

Click image for larger version

Name:	download-1.5.png
Views:	119
Size:	553.3 KB
ID:	647499Click image for larger version

Name:	downloads-1.5.png
Views:	113
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	647500Click image for larger version

Name:	oregon-night.png
Views:	109
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	647501
Old 05-19-2016, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to be critical but what functions does your app serve that an overlap from ghia? I am interested but don't want to have to apps if it provides redundant features. Thanks
Old 05-21-2016, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Learo2000GT
Not trying to be critical but what functions does your app serve that an overlap from ghia? I am interested but don't want to have to apps if it provides redundant features. Thanks
No problem at all. "Functionally" Gaia can do way more than my app. It is really about the unique content (the map) that I provide. The US Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) are paper maps put out by the forest service dictating where you can legally operate a motor vehicle. Their are hundreds of maps, some easy to locate, some not. Each National Forest has separate maps for each Ranger District (sometimes several). I combine it all into 1 seamless map with other relevant/useful data added as well (road maintenance levels, highways, waterways, Forest Service Points of Interest, etc)

My app also tries to work with other apps (I haven't had luck with Gaia yet though). This works well on Android (with Backcountry Navigator for instance) to use my content (map) with their more "full-featured" apps. Of course my app will work stand-alone too. I am also always looking for more ways to make my map work with more apps, be it iPhone, Android, (maybe even others) and ultimately various desktop tools.

Why do you care about the MVUM maps? The obvious reason is to stay legal off roading (off highway technically ;-) in the National Forests. The less obvious reason..... the National Forests are arguably the most fun place to 4x4. My map points you to everywhere you can in the forest. It highlights unmaintained/minimally maintained roads in red, paved roads in green, those in between not highlighted. For example, if you are in a Jeep looking for some rougher trails, look for the "Trails open to all vehicles" that are highlighted in red.

The demo on my website (https://offroadatlas.org) has a pretty fully functional demo (it just won't work offline) that you can browse around the map and see the coverage.

The unfortunate reality is that may people have MANY map apps they use frequently. I try to be about providing the unique content - and allowing you to use my app OR one of the others you already use.
I am looking at an option (creating a "tile service") that would allow me to support Gaia and many others. It would cost me more to maintain, so it would likely have to be more of a subscription service - though I would try to keep it as cheap as possible. A couple bucks for a month - or a little more for a year kind of thing - one time or recurring. Is that something you (or anyone else) would be interested in?

I will warn you though, that the instructions on Gaia's website for implementing a "TMS Map Source" by 'reverse engineering' the map with chrome developer tools would violate many sites terms of service, and would be illegal in many cases - it would violate mine. Many do allow you to that kind of thing, though if they do allow it you won't have to reverse engineer the site - they will provide instructions. Bulk downloading from such services that do not explicitly allow it can be a very intensive task that can negatively affect other users of the service, hence the need more server resources and a little more cost.

If you do want to use my app to download the map - then transfer that file to any of your devices (1 user - many devices), I have no problem with that. It would be dead simple to transfer to your desktop machine from an Android - just plug it into a usb port and you can access your phone like a usb drive. iPhone is more locked down, you might need a jailbroken iPhone (or technical skills) to get the map off the device. My app is made to handle bulk downloads very efficiently. To download pretty much everything in my app would download a few hundred medium size files from my server vs 10's of million of very small files that a map service would.

Thanks for the interest and let me know if I can do anything else to help!
Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mk1jeep
No problem at all. "Functionally" Gaia can do way more than my app. It is really about the unique content (the map) that I provide. The US Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) are paper maps put out by the forest service dictating where you can legally operate a motor vehicle. Their are hundreds of maps, some easy to locate, some not. Each National Forest has separate maps for each Ranger District (sometimes several). I combine it all into 1 seamless map with other relevant/useful data added as well (road maintenance levels, highways, waterways, Forest Service Points of Interest, etc) My app also tries to work with other apps (I haven't had luck with Gaia yet though). This works well on Android (with Backcountry Navigator for instance) to use my content (map) with their more "full-featured" apps. Of course my app will work stand-alone too. I am also always looking for more ways to make my map work with more apps, be it iPhone, Android, (maybe even others) and ultimately various desktop tools. Why do you care about the MVUM maps? The obvious reason is to stay legal off roading (off highway technically ;-) in the National Forests. The less obvious reason..... the National Forests are arguably the most fun place to 4x4. My map points you to everywhere you can in the forest. It highlights unmaintained/minimally maintained roads in red, paved roads in green, those in between not highlighted. For example, if you are in a Jeep looking for some rougher trails, look for the "Trails open to all vehicles" that are highlighted in red. The demo on my website (https://offroadatlas.org) has a pretty fully functional demo (it just won't work offline) that you can browse around the map and see the coverage. The unfortunate reality is that may people have MANY map apps they use frequently. I try to be about providing the unique content - and allowing you to use my app OR one of the others you already use. I am looking at an option (creating a "tile service") that would allow me to support Gaia and many others. It would cost me more to maintain, so it would likely have to be more of a subscription service - though I would try to keep it as cheap as possible. A couple bucks for a month - or a little more for a year kind of thing - one time or recurring. Is that something you (or anyone else) would be interested in? I will warn you though, that the instructions on Gaia's website for implementing a "TMS Map Source" by 'reverse engineering' the map with chrome developer tools would violate many sites terms of service, and would be illegal in many cases - it would violate mine. Many do allow you to that kind of thing, though if they do allow it you won't have to reverse engineer the site - they will provide instructions. Bulk downloading from such services that do not explicitly allow it can be a very intensive task that can negatively affect other users of the service, hence the need more server resources and a little more cost. If you do want to use my app to download the map - then transfer that file to any of your devices (1 user - many devices), I have no problem with that. It would be dead simple to transfer to your desktop machine from an Android - just plug it into a usb port and you can access your phone like a usb drive. iPhone is more locked down, you might need a jailbroken iPhone (or technical skills) to get the map off the device. My app is made to handle bulk downloads very efficiently. To download pretty much everything in my app would download a few hundred medium size files from my server vs 10's of million of very small files that a map service would. Thanks for the interest and let me know if I can do anything else to help!
That really does help explain things. I have no problems with a stand alone app and I do now see the utility in your app. It will be an added addition to my navigation software. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

I downloaded it. Great idea. I've personally wished for something like this. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
I downloaded it. Great idea. I've personally wished for something like this. Thanks!
I am glad you like it. It really started off as a personal project in my free time, it makes me overjoyed to see others getting use out of it. It has been growing quickly and with all the support I'll keep making it even better. I already have some surprises to look out for in the next week or two :-)

Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

This looks like a great app. I can't wrap my head around paying $10-$20 for an app, but $1 I can afford!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jmjnewbold
This looks like a great app. I can't wrap my head around paying $10-$20 for an app, but $1 I can afford!
Thank you. I definitely have a different business model than some of the other guys. Try to support the masses that can afford .99 or those that are willing to put out a lot more. In-app purchases and subscriptions can add up on top of that quickly too. I can't promise I won't ever offer anything like addons (though even then I would try to keep them cheap like the main app), but what you get for .99 cents, you always get and you'll always get any updates to (working on that now ;-)
Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just paid for it. I'll try it out in July while I am in Ouray Colorado.

Quick Reply: National Forest Road and Trail MVUM Maps for Android