Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGIG vs Trail Guide

Old 07-25-2007 | 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyGIG vs Trail Guide

Hi all
About to order a 2008 JK and need some of your thought on MyGIG vs Trail Guide. One of my concerns is the security in a soft top vehicle.
Thanks Al
Old 07-25-2007 | 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I were ordering from the factory and had the cash, I'd go with MyGig. Its cool. I wish I had one, but I can't bring myself to pay the $2000 cash to put it in (funny how I don't seem to mind financing $2000 which, with interest, makes it way more expensive... man, I've got problems).

The Trail Guide is cool too, but is more at risk of theft since it is easier to rip out. However, its small and can easily be put in your pocket, so nothing to steal.

Finally, consider how you'll use a GPS. The Trail Guide can have Topo maps installed on it (cost about $100 from Garmin), but the MyGig can't. Trail Guide can also go hiking with you. MyGig can be a DVD player. You get it... totally different devices, one works for one person might not work for you.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2007 | 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Trail Guide. I had it in my TJ and I'm happy with the results of how it works. I don't need to watch DVDs in the Jeep...
Old 07-26-2007 | 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

not sure if my gig has a way to support a back up camera but I got the trail guide and now which I had the my gig.
Old 07-26-2007 | 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Gig

get the My GIG.

$2,000 head unit yes, but DVD + Sirius + AM/FM + Navigation = more than $2000

and not as well integrated...

also; I have a soft top... I never lock my doors (if I even have doors on it)

and I have a $100 comprehensive deductable...

so stolen deck, and I'm out $100.00

some headaches yes; but after a while you stop worrying, because after all your worrying doesnt do anything....

or add a spiffy alarm that's motion activated and has a key fob that tells you when your being raped.
Old 07-26-2007 | 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Or read this post: Garmin 7200 Install (Move over MyGig!)

Quick Reply: MyGIG vs Trail Guide