Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGIG System

Old 10-25-2006, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MyGIG System

I'm new to this forum and was getting ready to order my JK Sahara 4dr, but am currently mulling over the option of the new MyGIG/navigation system...I'm a little skeptical of fancy electronics in a Jeep (I used to own a '98 TJ)...thoughts anyone?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

personally, I would not throw down the $$$$ for something I can get with an iPod and a GPS (as previously stated on these forums. I may put in an intel mac mini into the center console and a GPS antenna. However, my friend said he will help me construct a mini-itx board inside an ammo case. Also, checkout mp3car first before you drop the 1600 on myGig. LCD touch screens are getting cheap as well. I'd spend more time and effort in the mounting of a computer as well as safegaurding it for conditions such as water, sand and moisture.

good luck.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks ddchili! Your advice helps. I'll save my $$ and pass on the MyGIG. I already have an iPod so that should suffice :^)
Old 10-25-2006, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Pass on the MyGig, but look hard at the 6 Disc DVD. Thats ~28 GB of MP3 storage. for $350, and you don't have to add anything to your Jeep to tempt the thieves.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

my 2008 jk rubicon is in g status
Old 11-15-2007, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default If you have the dough, I'd get it

I have the MyGig, and I would definitely get it again. I haven't had any problems with it, and it is way more than an 'iPod and GPS'.

The power of the MyGig is just now begining to be tapped.

--Sky
Old 11-15-2007, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

I'll second the defense of the Mygig. LOVE the factory fit, nav system is great, hard drive storage for music, got pictures of my wife on the display, Sirius, watch a DVD, with the bluegig I have voice activated navigation and hands free phone calls and it all works together! LOVE IT!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I also love the MyGig, although I do worry about exposure to water if the top is off. I have to imagine that the delicate stuff is sealed up in there somehow.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

He's gone...saved his money and will now have to pay out of pocket plus a monthly payment to get something less than what the Mygig could have offered. I agree that the Mygig is a little suspect right now, but it's warrantied and you're still throwing down nearly $400 for the 6 disk/DVD, another $300 for an iPod (out of pocket), $350 or more for a GPS with a much smaller screen and one that has to be suctioned to the window or put somewhere else, and you risk having the iPod and portable GPS stolen and not covered by your insurance all for saving approximately (let's see $400 + $300 + $350 = $1,050)...you're saving $245 and $650 of that $1050 has to come out of your pocket (plus tax) where getting the Mygig factory installed as the MSRP is $1295 will cost you maybe and extra $20/month.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeputyJoel
I'll second the defense of the Mygig. LOVE the factory fit, nav system is great, hard drive storage for music, got pictures of my wife on the display, Sirius, watch a DVD, with the bluegig I have voice activated navigation and hands free phone calls and it all works together! LOVE IT!
I would Third that too... I love the MyGig and I too believe that it is much more than just an iPod and GPS. I am really happy that I got it...

Ben

Quick Reply: MyGIG System