Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mygig RER microphone installation help does this happen to anybody else

Old 10-24-2013, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mygig RER microphone installation help does this happen to anybody else

Hi I am new to the jeep community. I have always wanted a jeep every since I was 10 years old. Last week I bought my first jeep a 2008 Sahara from Carmax I fell in love with it and have every option I was looking for including the uconnect and GPS. Once I got it home I was trying to figure out how to work the you connect. After a bunch of research I found out that the uconnect microphone is not preinstall. So why get somebody else to install it when I love doing things myself. So I ordered a microphone off eBay and watch some YouTube videos on how to install it (Jeep Wrangler Grand Cherokee Commander Liberty MYGIG Nav Microphone MOPAR OEM) it arrived in the mail today. First thing I did is unplug my battery. Second thing I did is start to take the dash apart. The third thing I did is unscrew the mygig and slide it out a few inches. The fourth thing I did I plugged the microphone into the center of the back of the box. I put everything back together the way it was and hooked up my battery. I turn the car on and it works. I turn the car off I want to get my phone came back turn the car back on and it does not work anymore. This happened four times I thought at first it was one of the wires in the back was pinched. After about the fourth time I figured out that it only works once and then you turn the car off and it does not work anymore. I am so frustrated and just give up I am seeking advice on how to fix this problem. Can anybody please help me.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go back to google and look up the change that you need to make in the engineering menu. Just be really careful because if you mess with the wrong thing, you can brick your RER. I have an 08 Sahara and did the same thing and it's been working great for the past 2 years.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a great write-up by sanjosebass on this forum. Just do a search. Has pics and all.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing further research late last night after posting this. I ran across a page on MyGIG Microphone | mintzer.com. That have pictures and instructions on how to install the mygig microphone on the rer my gig and the exact same kind of microphone I bought off ebay. Once installed I have to access the engineering mode which I did not know I had to do or even that it was a option. I did not see this that in any of the several YouTube videos I watched. It said press seek up seek down and menu. I tried that and nothing happened. After going back to my computer and reading it again I found out the guy was probably saying press seek up seek down and menu all at the same time. I want back to my jeep and try pressing all three buttons at the same time and it took me to the engineering mode. Then you need to scroll all the way to the bottom where it says Enable VR (Voice Recognition)/HFM (Hands Free Mobile). After doing that it works just fine. I mounted my microphone on the top of the silver plastic on the left above the my gig. The next thing I am going to do to the jeep is add a backup camera and by the lockpick. I am not sure which one to buy do any of you have any recommendations?

Quick Reply: Mygig RER microphone installation help does this happen to anybody else