Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mygig REN hdd repair/upgrade

Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mygig REN hdd repair/upgrade

Bought a mygig REN off a guy in my jeep club, he told me it worked which it does however the hard drive is shot. Not upset though being he said he'd take it back with out any issue. Before I hand it back over and get a refund I'd like to try and fix it and keep it. The symptoms it's showing is 0.0 hdd and 0.0 capacity and when trying to play a cd it shuts down. Radio works fine though. Searching for mygig hard drives online came up with one place and they want $225 for it. Other option is to upgrade the hdd to a ssd with the same or a bit larger capacity. With that being said I need some help from members who have done it and are willing to help me out. Or anyone know where I can get a usable hdd for cheap?

Thanks
Brian
Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

When I bought my used MyGIG REN .. first thing I did was buy a $15 Laptop drive off eBay and copy the factory HDD to the eBay HDD. I installed the eBay HDD in my Radio and have the factory original tucked away safe and sound in case I ever need to copy it again. If the HDD crashes I may go with an SSD .. they cost around $50. You must use a PATA 2.5 drive .. not a SATA drive.

Without an original HDD to copy you are kinda screwed. you will also need two 2.5 PATA to USB HDD cases and a program called G4U to do the copy.

Last edited by dmhines; 02-19-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

So are you saying the hdd is unit specific or could I get any ren hdd copy made to work?

I'm not that tech savvy...
Old 02-19-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Any working REN HDD will work.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info. What brand would you recommend to go with for the ssd or hdd?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

I bought a used Toshiba 40gb for $15 on eBay. There is only one company that I found making a pata ssd. They are on ebay.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Internal PATA / IDE Solid State Drives at TigerDirect.com
Dont know if it will work 100% but it is PATA
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Then all you will need is a hard drive image off of a working Mygig and the cable for the hdd to transfer the image off the working hdd to the new hdd via a computer
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DonP
Internal PATA / IDE Solid State Drives at TigerDirect.com
Dont know if it will work 100% but it is PATA
Those are 8GB and 16GB .. you need atleast a 30GB drive. There is a Hong Kong company on eBay selling 32GB PATA SSD for $50.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default Maybe too late to reply . .

I read a bunch of forums about guys trying make their drives larger and some started with SSD's when they , one guy said he made an SSD work, but most say they tried and didn't work. Theres a web site I found when I was trying to see if I could make my drive bigger. They said no after trying a few.

MyGig Music has gone Missing, MyGig RER & REN Hard Drive Help

It looks like they provide (sell) loaded hard drives and disk images for download for MyGig RER and REN. They don't tell you how to make a MyGig drive larger, they just send you an image that will do it if you have a larger drive to burn it to.

Quick Reply: Mygig REN hdd repair/upgrade