Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig Problem; volume cuts out intermittantly

Old 12-18-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MyGig Problem; volume cuts out intermittantly

I've used the search function but can't find anything that matches my exact situation.

Have an issue with the Mygig unit with nav in my '08 JK. Regardless of whether I'm playing a CD, music from the hard drive, or just have the radio on, the volume will intermittantly cut out and then come back on (I know there is an issue, solved by a software upgrade, concerning the voice directions when in nav mode but this happens regardless of the sound source). Sometimes the outage is a second or two, sometimes 10 seconds or more. It may just do this once or twice in a row and then work fine for the next week, or it may cut in & out constantly making the unit unusable.

It can happen at start-up or after it's been on for a few hours regardless of whether the volume is high or low so I don't think it's an issue with the amp overheating & a thermal cut-out mechanism coming into play or anything. Also happens in hot or cold weather, wet/humid or dry, night or day.

It started doing this shortly after I bought the Jeep new, & the dealer fixed the issue at the next service. They said they loaded a new new software version but they also had the freedom panels off suggesting they were working on the soundbar. All worked well for over a year, but now it's back doing it again.

Any ideas what it could be, anyone?

I'd like to have an idea what I'm dealing with the next time I bring it back to the dealer to get the issue sorted out. I know I can go to the website and just download the latest software myself but as it's under warranty I'd rather not touch it.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont this the wrong way, mine was doing the same thing for a while and i notice the volume bars would change color from gold to blue. At the moment the volume went down i turned it up only to hear the turn by turn GPS prompt still trying to re-route me to a location that the dealer set in the GPS. That was my issue, I hope yours is just as simple
Old 12-19-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKlad
I'd like to have an idea what I'm dealing with the next time I bring it back to the dealer to get the issue sorted out. I know I can go to the website and just download the latest software myself but as it's under warranty I'd rather not touch it.
What version of the software do you have?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe002
What version of the software do you have?
A pretty old one by the looks of it; 1.219, and I believe 2.302 is the now latest available? Was nervous about attempting the update myself but was reassured by people on another thread that it isn't difficult so I think I'll go ahead & do it myself and see if this solves the problem.

Just yesterday it started doing something else it shouldn't; switch to another radio station by itself while the displayed frequency remained unchanged, and also switched to a radio station while it playing back music from the hard drive but the display also remained unchanged and in hard drive mode, so it's obviously a software issue of some sort.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKlad
A pretty old one by the looks of it; 1.219, and I believe 2.302 is the now latest available? Was nervous about attempting the update myself but was reassured by people on another thread that it isn't difficult so I think I'll go ahead & do it myself and see if this solves the problem.

Just yesterday it started doing something else it shouldn't; switch to another radio station by itself while the displayed frequency remained unchanged, and also switched to a radio station while it playing back music from the hard drive but the display also remained unchanged and in hard drive mode, so it's obviously a software issue of some sort.
I just upgraded from 2.043 to 2.302, and I remember my MyGIG was a little flakey at times with the older (1.x) software in it. Before you go to 2.302 you may want to make sure you can go there directly, or you may have to do an intermediate upgrade first (I remember one of the past upgrades I did required and intermediate upgrade before going to the one I wanted). They may have fixed that issue with the more recent upgrades. Also, the upgrade may drop stuff from your stored music address book. Again, that may have been fixed in the newer release.

Good luck, and just be patient with the time it takes to do the upgrade. It’s not necessarily a fast process.

After you do the upgrade, if you are still having problems then the issues must be with the hardware. Do you still have any warrantee left?

Quick Reply: MyGig Problem; volume cuts out intermittantly