Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig hard drive upgradable?

Old 03-16-2007, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyGig hard drive upgradable?

Since all the music and maps share hard drive space and it's only 20 gigs, I wonder if you can pull the hard drive out and image it to a larger hard drive with say 80 gigs (or more) of space.

Does anyone know what kind of drive mygig has? IDE, SATA?

I wonder if you could pull the drive and put it in a computer and use a program like norton ghost to image the drive?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racerx
Since all the music and maps share hard drive space and it's only 20 gigs, I wonder if you can pull the hard drive out and image it to a larger hard drive with say 80 gigs (or more) of space.

I wonder if you could pull the drive and put it in a computer and use a program like norton ghost to image the drive?
Withouth having one in my hand its hard to say, but I would think so. Most likely uses PATA 2.5" drive. Something like this. Same drive you'd see in a laptop. I wouldn't think it would be using a SAS drive..just seems unlikely to me.

I certainly would be interested in at least pulling the drive and examining its contents...see what file system its running and how the files are layed out.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are probably right about the 2.5 inch drive. I don't think they even make SATA drives that small(20 GB capacity).

If this is possible, I think it would be a great mod considering only 6.5 GB out of a total 20 GB are actually allocated for your own media. I guess the rest of it is for the maps.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:50 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by racerx

This is the drive they use... I picked up a 40gig drive I was going to swap out with mygig then changed my mind about ordering mygig going into my laptop now.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...s/ee25_series/

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...px?EDC=1094774

Last edited by dsy; 03-16-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Be very very carefull! I have some. ok, a little expierence from when i Upgraded my little 20 gb TIVO to a 120 GB tivo. My guess would be that the os is linux based. Chances are if you boot your pc with the Mygig drive in the slave slot, windows will write data too it. This most likely will hose the drive and put you down $1500. I would highly recommend that you google "hack tivo". Lots of good info out their that would probably work for this application. Although the best part about linux is that its open source and HIGHLY Hackable! WIth a good Linux Programer Possibilities could be ENDLESS!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gergy9
Be very very carefull! I have some. ok, a little expierence from when i Upgraded my little 20 gb TIVO to a 120 GB tivo. My guess would be that the os is linux based. Chances are if you boot your pc with the Mygig drive in the slave slot, windows will write data too it. This most likely will hose the drive and put you down $1500. I would highly recommend that you google "hack tivo". Lots of good info out their that would probably work for this application. Although the best part about linux is that its open source and HIGHLY Hackable! WIth a good Linux Programer Possibilities could be ENDLESS!
Yes, you're right, it is probably linux based - but theres no knowing until you take a peek. Even so, I highly doubt this will be anything like hacking a TiVo. Though I will concede that some of the same linux-based imaging tools could be used.

Also, if anyone was stupid enough to boot from a drive they just pulled from their car infotainment center, you don't deserve an infotainment center. You should be able to hook this drive up as a slave without issue.

In the end, the part of your comment that should be most highlighted are the first 4 words. I've since decided to cancel my mygig, so I unfortunatley won't be able to try this outmyself. But darn it, I sure would like to.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gergy9
I second that, I know for fact that my AVIC drive is locked. There is a hack to unlock it, but as soon as you boot the unlocked drive, the unit will lock it again. So be very careful, you may loose the whole unit.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Egmont
I second that, I know for fact that my AVIC drive is locked. There is a hack to unlock it, but as soon as you boot the unlocked drive, the unit will lock it again. So be very careful, you may loose the whole unit.
If anyone tries to hack the mygig, they should make an image of the original drive (using something like Norton Ghost) and then play around with the newly imaged drive. I intend to do just that (If I ever get my Jeep that I ordered over 3 months ago - but I digress)

Take heed to the mygig warning lable that states:

Das Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren musten keepen das cotten-pickenen hands in das pockets - relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

(It must be made in Germany)
Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

So has anyone ventured into changing out their Hard drive????
Old 11-28-2007, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geatlander
If anyone tries to hack the mygig, they should make an image of the original drive (using something like Norton Ghost) and then play around with the newly imaged drive. I intend to do just that (If I ever get my Jeep that I ordered over 3 months ago - but I digress)

Take heed to the mygig warning lable that states:

Das Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren musten keepen das cotten-pickenen hands in das pockets - relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

(It must be made in Germany)
I just ordered a new computer and once that comes in (prob next week) I will ghost the hard drive and try to hack it.

Quick Reply: MyGig hard drive upgradable?