Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig - Hard drive blanked out?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyGig - Hard drive blanked out?

I fired up my JK this morning and noticed all the songs and pictures on my hard drive were gone. Anyone ever have this happen before? I did a quick search and saw where the entire unit died, but my issues are only w/ my hard drive. Sirius and nav still worked fine. Any ideas?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kneetard
I fired up my JK this morning and noticed all the songs and pictures on my hard drive were gone. Anyone ever have this happen before? I did a quick search and saw where the entire unit died, but my issues are only w/ my hard drive. Sirius and nav still worked fine. Any ideas?
pretty sure your NAV maps are stored on the HD so if that's working then its not a HD failure. If you've ever looked, the 30gb HD only gives you about 16gb of storage for songs. the rest is used for system info including the NAV stuff.

I'd try re-loading some songs to see what happens. I'm not a computer expert but I'm wondering if our 30gb HD's are partitioned into two sections, one for music and the other for maps and stuff. Maybe the partition got corrupt?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Yep, happened to me twice. Don't know what causes it but, I just downloaded all my songs again.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 PM
JK Newbie

Same here, all music files gone. but photos are there. This happened maybe 3 times already. Had to reload all music files again. NAV works ok no issues.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kreyzee73
Same here, all music files gone. but photos are there. This happened maybe 3 times already. Had to reload all music files again. NAV works ok no issues.
Hmmmm maybe when you reach max it dumps everything?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper

i would second that. maybe it's like a safety thing so instead of it crashing it just dumps everything.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Jeep must not have built the headunit then, dumping all the files is the smart thing to do.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
That's logical, but I don't think that's how the software in the RHR works.

This site is FULL of good info. Perhaps you can find what you're looking for in there. Please share as needed, but realize that it is NOT sanctioned by MOPAR, nor the OEM of the head unit. BUT... there's more info here than anywhere else for us owners.

But I will say, your not the only one that's seen some issues with the RHR. I had an 08' SRT8 Grand Cherokee prior to my current 13' Rubi.
I realize that the MyGig was renamed in 08'... and is now the UConnect, but the same software package is still used. Just updated firmware and other tweaks have been made. Same horse, different color.

-Similar HDD management problems have been found in earlier models:
"The symptoms for the RER navigation radio is that the "Navigation is being activated" never goes away and if you look at MENU-SYSTEM SETUP-MANAGE HDD- SPACE AVAILABLE, it shows the HDD with 0 GB of space. The HDD never mounts."
-I flashed my old one myself with the patch and then the newest version of firmware/software. BUT... i haven't found a site for out new head unit that's simliar to this one. Still looking...

Last edited by autenb; 12-04-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Quick Reply: MyGig - Hard drive blanked out?