Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig Gracenote -- worth the space?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyGig Gracenote -- worth the space?

Looking at the size of the MyGig Gracenote update software, I can't help but wonder how much of my drive space it takes up ... given how easy it is to load labeled songs from my computer using a zip drive, why do I need this? Anybody see the value? Or agree with me?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have mygig, but I'm not sure it's really worth it's weight. I guess if you're uploading CD's directly, it's a nice thing to have, but I have all of my CD's already ripped onto my computer as it is, so I'm with you in seeing more space as more useful.

Question though, how often does the gracenote system get updated? And if I were to go out today and buy a new CD that just came out, if I got a gracenote update, would it automatically recognize that I had that CD ripped onto my hard drive already???
Old 01-10-2008, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my Gracenote update done last night. The HDD shows no less additional space with the new version of the database than the old version, so the update really has no impact on disc space.

For me, the update was nice as there are certain CDs that I would like to hear the songs in the order that they appear on the CD. The easiest way to get that is to rip them to the HDD using the mygig. If the gracenote database does not have the CD, the album becomes the date & time you ripped it, the artist becomes "unknown", and the tracks are track 1, track 2, etc ... a real PITA.

Other CDs, i rip on my PC and tranfer with a USB stick ... much faster this way.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im almost certain that the MyGig replaces the old gracenote database with the new one.

I also didnt notice a difference in free space.

And Im very glad I updated the gracenote database

Quick Reply: MyGig Gracenote -- worth the space?