Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mygig cant find POI?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mygig cant find POI?

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Mygig unit for my JK. Ive noticed that it just cant find any POI am looking for. If I look for, lets say for ''Homedepot'' which is about 3 miles from my home, it will come up with a Homedepot at 569 miles away from me;

Ive done all updates available thru mofv.com, and couldnt see any improvment with the POI database;

Ive search the net about this and found that some people experienced the same problem with their Mygig unit, but didnt find any good solution to this. Some of these treads were getting old, so I thought that maybe someone here had make it since.

I thought the Mygig unit would be really top notch, but found out so far my 3 years old Garmin gps to be WAY more accurate and elaborated.

So, anyone experiencing the same with their unit? is it a way to update or import some POI database in the unit?

Thanx for any input;

JF
Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had two cars with factory GPS, a Garmin (handheld) and TomTom (handheld). They all do that. Not sure why. But it's definitely not unique to the myGIG
Old 06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always select "Search Within a City" it will correct the results...you have to select this every time..
Old 06-20-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
Always select "Search Within a City" it will correct the results...you have to select this every time..
You can ''search within a city'' if browsing in the different proposed POI category, but you cant if you want to input a point's name. Anyways it doesnt make sens to have to specify the city everytime you want to look for a POI. Most gps will list the surrounding points from your actual location, where ever you are.

Im really disappointed with it so far. Also this thing is pretty much useless without a lockpick, which I dont have. Ill probably take this thing out and put back my REQ.

If im missing something, please let me know;

thanx for the comments;
Old 06-20-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have your home state configured? It's in the GPS setup menu.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smopho
Do you have your home state configured? It's in the GPS setup menu.
It still does it. MyGig sucks for finding things unless you have the address. Sometimes you'll get lucky if you have the phone #... Most things are entered under weird names that you'd never think to search for.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 AM
JK Junkie

I can tell you this the Lockpic did make a HUGE difference in the Mygig! It was our first purchase for the JK. We installed the Lockpic one week after we owned the JK!
Old 06-21-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some things you have to be in PARK for it to work. Also I have noticed, once you hit a button, give it time to "process".

Quick Reply: Mygig cant find POI?